Destination boards and other details

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

I've been working some on a new version of my homepage again, and for that I need pictures of all my trains. Before I take those pictures, I want to make sure I install all the detail bits and decals etc. For quite a few trains this is going to be terrible, Tomix tends to include water slide decals for car numbers, so that's a LOT of decals which need to go on ;)

However, the main problem is, and probably that of quite a few of us, is that in a lot of cases I have no idea what the decals say, and in the case of MicroAce, where they should go.

So, in order to help myself, and hopefully others who need it, I figured I'd post some pictures here of trains and decal sheets. We could sort of keep it as a reference, and eventually maybe move it over to the wiki. So, for those who want to know, post some pictures. For those who have the knowledge, post some answers =)

For starters, attached is the MicroAce A5913 - Kiha40-400 and decal sheet. Would be nice to know what's what (I've tried finding prototype shots, but haven't come across anything with decent quality)

MicroAce-A5913.jpg

MicroAce-A5913-sheet.jpg

Hezekiah Strawbody

I've been working some on a new version of my homepage again, and for that I need pictures of all my trains. Before I take those pictures, I want to make sure I install all the detail bits and decals etc. For quite a few trains this is going to be terrible, Tomix tends to include water slide decals for car numbers, so that's a LOT of decals which need to go on ;)

However, the main problem is, and probably that of quite a few of us, is that in a lot of cases I have no idea what the decals say, and in the case of MicroAce, where they should go.

So, in order to help myself, and hopefully others who need it, I figured I'd post some pictures here of trains and decal sheets. We could sort of keep it as a reference, and eventually maybe move it over to the wiki. So, for those who want to know, post some pictures. For those who have the knowledge, post some answers =)

For starters, attached is the MicroAce A5913 - Kiha40-400 and decal sheet. Would be nice to know what's what (I've tried finding prototype shots, but haven't come across anything with decent quality)

1. Tomix (like most Japanese manufacturers) don't use decals, so if you put them in water you probably won't be using them again  :laugh: They are rub-on lettering sheets.

2. With MicroAce, they very rarely have any lettering at all to add except destination signs, like the set you have pictured. You just pick which route (top section) or service type (bottom section) you want, and I am sure with that set it goes on the end 'hole' above the cab window.

Martijn Meerts

Yes, of course Tomix uses rub-on decals, my mistake =) I actually knew that, no idea why I wrote water-slide decals...

Do the other brands use the rub-on decals as well? We have Kato, Micro-Ace, and probably Modemo transfers/decals that are still unused, and I don't want to mess them up.

I'll take transfers over water-slide decals any day. :-P

CaptOblivious

Kato uses these awful, thick decals. It's a clear plastic with an only modestly sticky adhesive, and you have to cut them out yourself. (Did you ever have any GI Joe back in the mid 80'? Like a H.I.S.S. tank? Remeber those awful decals that wouldn't stick? Same thing.)

Martijn Meerts

The Kato decals will be interesting, I have some spares and tried some on a bit of plastic, but they're not the best... The MicroAce look similar to the Kato ones.

Anyway, any Japanese reader who can figure out what the various destination boards of the Kiha40-400 say? ;)

The Kato decals will be interesting, I have some spares and tried some on a bit of plastic, but they're not the best... The MicroAce look similar to the Kato ones.

Anyway, any Japanese reader who can figure out what the various destination boards of the Kiha40-400 say? ;)

I've often wondered why Kato models keep advancing over the years but they keep using those stick on decals.

A help in figuring out what the destination signs say is a map with place names in Japanese and English. The destination in English is often in small letters under the Japanese but usually too small to read in N scale.

Martijn Meerts

Did a bit of researching (well, a bit meaning several hours ;)) and come up with some things. This specific Kiha 40 is run by JR-Hokkaido (already knew that part), on, for example, the Sasshō Line (札沼線). The destination decals seem to be from that line at least.

Top section, station names:

- 浦臼 <-> 石狩当別 : Urausu <-> Ishikari-Tōbetsu

- 浦臼 <-> 札幌 : Urausu <-> Sapporo

- 新十津川 <-> 石狩当別 : Shin-Totsukawa <-> Ishikari-Tōbetsu

- 北海道医療大学 <-> 札幌 : Hokkaidō-Iryōdaigaku <-> Sapporo

- 札幌 : Sapporo

- 学園都市篠 : Shino University

Middle section, trains manned by only 1 person (the driver, no ticket guy):

- ワンマン : "one-man", local train operated by only 1 person

- 快速ワンマン : "high speed one-man", rapid local operated by only 1 person

Bottom section, service type:

- 普通 (futsu): regular service (local train)

- 普通 (futsu): regular service (local train)

- 快速 (kaisoku): rapid service (local train)

Another thing, MicroAce seems to have added only the signs for the front/end of the train, not those that go on the sides (even though the bit where the sign should go is modeled). From the prototypes I've seen, which don't really show the sides all that clearly, the signs on the side are different than those on the front. Wondering if I should just skip them altogether, or add the not-quite-correct ones (which no one will notice ;))

CaptOblivious

Another thing, MicroAce seems to have added only the signs for the front/end of the train, not those that go on the sides (even though the bit where the sign should go is modeled). From the prototypes I've seen, which don't really show the sides all that clearly, the signs on the side are different than those on the front. Wondering if I should just skip them altogether, or add the not-quite-correct ones (which no one will notice ;))

Signage for the side signs seems to be unique to Kato, at least in my experience. Non of my MA trains offer that option, nor does my one Tomix EMU. All of my Kato sets do, however. On the stets I have, the side signs are considerably smaller anyway, so I don't think it makes much difference beyond a couple of feet viewing distance.

Signage for the side signs seems to be unique to Kato, at least in my experience. Non of my MA trains offer that option, nor does my one Tomix EMU. All of my Kato sets do, however. On the stets I have, the side signs are considerably smaller anyway, so I don't think it makes much difference beyond a couple of feet viewing distance.

Anyone looking at them would have to have good eyesight and read Japanese. :grin

I actually prefer water based decals. The trick is to use water with a bit of soap in it. Not too much as it can dissolve the decal! Water based ends up a bit better then rub-on decals. Could also be because I tend to use too much pressure when applying rub-ons :P