Models of 115s (or ???) in "2nd Niigata" livery?

scott

Does anybody know if there are models available of 115s or other EMUs in the "2nd Niigata" livery (white with green stripes), like the one linked below?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:115-niigata-2nd-color.JPG

My usual reference site for this kind of question, Japanese Model Supplies, seems to be kaput all of a sudden. I hope they can get their site running again--it was a great resource.

Hi,

This was made by Tomix in September 2003 according to the Hobby Search website and the later colour in 2005.

Hope this helps.

Hi Scott,

The model you are after was made in 2003 and has not be re-issued since.  Unless Micro Ace make a version this year, your only chance lies with the secondhand shops in Japan. 

Ah, well. I think I'll just keep my eye out for a re-issue.

Or if I got really ambitious (read: foolish), I could repaint my Minobu Line 115.

#$%^#$^!!! Just when I had convinced myself that 2010 was going to be "no more new trains year," Hobby Search just announced that the Tomix Niigata 115 is being re-issued! And it's $120 for a three-car set!! Arg...

That train would go well with this one:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10031052

I have no idea if they ever ran in the same area or not. But I like that "Nanohana" 165-series...

Yeah, it's a Joyful train, so why not? It was based in Chiba though...

Also, good memories of the 115 New-Niigata livered rides I had. Very very nice line it runs on.

Yep--I've already pre-ordered those.  :grin  I've been waiting for models of those trains for quite a while.

A quick question, after trying to make sense of the auto-translated Wikipedia entry I still can't figure out if the 2nd livery (white with dark and light green bands) is still in use today by the prototype, or if it has been totally replaced by the blue and yellow liveries. My best coubled together understanding is that green is for the older 3 car sets, blue is for the 3+3 sets, and yellow is the Yahiko city livery (I have no idea why a small village in Niigata has it's own livery).

Is any of that right (I want to order the on-sale 2nd color version at HS, but I don't want to later find out it never ran at the same time as the E127 or other more modern stock).

David, based on a few pages and pictures found in a search, I'd say that the 2nd Niigata livery, the New Niigata livery (actually just called 3rd Niigata livery on the Japanese Wikipedia page), and the Yahiko livery are all still in use.  I'm thankful that JR East isn't going the way of JR West with their paint schemes.  Also, regarding the Yahiko livery, yeah, it's a town, but it's also a line, and they're probably all named after Mount Yahiko.

Apparently there's also a shrine at the foot of the mountain, but confusingly, it's alternately called Yahiko, using the same kanji as the town, line, and mountain, and Iyahiko which isn't just another character tacked on the front of the name but an entirely different character (弥彦 is Yahiko, 彌彦 is Iyahiko).  If we've got any Niigata residents on here, maybe we can get some kind of background on that.

Is any of that right (I want to order the on-sale 2nd color version at HS, but I don't want to later find out it never ran at the same time as the E127 or other more modern stock).

Go forth and purchase: