How do you store your trains

David

How do you store your trains (mark any that applies)  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How do you store your trains (mark any that applies)

• Book Cases
    • Plastic Jewel Cases
    • Cardboard/Foam Packaging
    • Other box/case/drawer
    • They're stored on the track!

hey a couple of ideas for train storage/transport i have found.

one is a plastic crate (usual sort of 14"w x 12" h x 22" l) that has a folding lid and even folds up flat when not in use. its perfect to take about 14 or so train boxes for transport or stacking storage. the container store had them but they recently stopped stocking them. they or ones like them may be lurking around. i replaces the old home depot tubs with the hinged lids i use to use with these and they stack much nicer.

the other is a small folding box the size of a milk crate. its about 15" cube and will fold flat if you need it to. great thing is that it has two wheels on the bottom edge and a telescoping handle that pulls out so its like a rolling piece of luggage. holds about 12 train cases. also has hand hold holes around the top that makes it easy to lift around. i have even stacked two of the train boxes described above and rolled them all across large parking lots at train shows. ive seen this little cart around a lot of places. i think i got it for about $15 on sale. i think this is the same one: http://www.meritline.com/folding-shopping-cart-157---p-23130.aspx

cheers

jeff

Does anybody store their trains in a glass display case?

Yes. After Christmas we moved all the furniture around the house and changed all the rooms. So now I have all of my books and models in one place. Well, until my wife decides to change everything again.  :cheesy

4291217357_0c38cfc1fd_b.jpg

4291954564_94b2bc9851_o.jpg

4291214065_0308960614_o.jpg

4291213413_46b010e464_o.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

So, my trains went from 1 temporary storage to the new "catalogued, tested, and ready for detailing/maintenance" temporary storage, which gave me a change to take some pictures.

I think I may need professional help, considering I don't have a layout or space to showcase the trains =)

trains_overview.jpg

trains_detail1.jpg

trains_detail2.jpg

trains_detail3.jpg

What is this crap about not having a layout? I see several hundred dollars of FINETRACK set up around that box metropolis!

I was going to post my picture but after reading this I'll pass.    :laugh:

You keep us straight. We should get you a JNS Rail Police label.

Inobu

So, my trains went from 1 temporary storage to the new "catalogued, tested, and ready for detailing/maintenance" temporary storage, which gave me a change to take some pictures.

I'd like to see another picture when you get out all of your trains from its box. And make a competition about the estimated time for this action.  :grin

Nice collection!  :icon_thumleft:

Ok,

Here is my disclaimer first.

I don't have a layout because I'm starting over. I started modeling American and converted to JDM (Japanese Domestic Market). I tore down the original yard setup to convert to a Japanese yard but I'm working on others things at the moment and everything is on hold.

End of disclaimer.

[smg id=792]

I pulled out the controllers because I going to convert to DC-DCC with Ipod. (That's why the wires are hanging)

Inobu

Martijn Meerts

@Martjin you do have a layout with a table that size!

The table has a slightly weird size, it's about 1 by 2.8 meters. It's also under a slanting roof up on the attic, which isn't optimal. The attic also get very cold during winter and extremely hot during summer, there's no isolation there at all. In fact, it gets so hot, I'm not sure how the trains will handle it. They should be fine when packed away...

I'm planning on doing the typical Japanese layout thing on it though. Just analog with next to no scenery and wires over the table etc, but I'll need to spend a bit more on track.

Nice collection of trains there mate! May I ask how long did it take to build up that fleet? Or is that classified? :grin.

Hmm.. About 4 years I guess. I bought a LOT of stuff in a short period of time. I was earning too much and had too little general expenses ;)

It'll slow down a LOT now though, as I have no job and am back to being a student of sorts =)

What is this crap about not having a layout? I see several hundred dollars of FINETRACK set up around that box metropolis!

It's just a double loop, nothing special. As mentioned above, I need to spend some more on track before I can make something more interesting then just a loop.

I'd like to see another picture when you get out all of your trains from its box. And make a competition about the estimated time for this action.  :grin

Nice collection!  :icon_thumleft:

I did take all of them out of the boxes to give them a test run. That includes all cars etc. Each of them ran for about 15-30 minutes, and I had at most 5 trains on the tracks at once with only 2 driving at the same time. I did couple some locomotives together, like the C62-2, C62-3 and C62-15 to simulate the triple header Niseko train. It took about 5 days with 4-5 hours per day I guess.

First Picture

Is that an entire MicroAce carton under the table!? Are you somehow buying direct, or just buying 10 sets at a time.

That is a MicroAce box yes, but I didn't order that from MicroAce directly. Japan Model Railways in Kamen likes to recycle boxes, so over time I've gotten several MicroAce and Tomix boxes =)

The table has a slightly weird size, it's about 1 by 2.8 meters. It's also under a slanting roof up on the attic, which isn't optimal. The attic also get very cold during winter and extremely hot during summer, there's no isolation there at all. In fact, it gets so hot, I'm not sure how the trains will handle it. They should be fine when packed away...

I'm planning on doing the typical Japanese layout thing on it though. Just analog with next to no scenery and wires over the table etc, but I'll need to spend a bit more on track.

If it really gets so hot up there Your rails will expand during the summer. You'll better spent money isolating the attic so your trains and your rails will be safe.

So true of what Disturbman said.  You should spend the money to climatize your attic.  That way, you will have space to build your empire w/o worry condensation and temperature extremes.

Martijn Meerts

Yeah, I've been looking at isolation that's not over the top expensive and possible to install myself. I also need to make sure the stuff fits between the beams on the attic. Lots to worry about.

Pity you don't live in Australia, Martin. At the moment insulation is free, courtesy of the Commonwealth Government, and they even send someone out to install it. We've just had our house done. I love it!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Mudkip Orange

The only time The Netherlands gives anything away for free is.....

Never mind, it won't happen =)

Hey, y'all don't charge for motorway usage.

That's one thing the Dutch give away for free that the Japanese (and suburban Texans) have to pay for.

Hobby Dreamer

I bought a bunch of N-scale stuff about 10 years ago and a cheap wooden "tool box"; which is like a large jewelry box.

But.... I just dug it out and forgot how much N-scale stuff I got.. Jackpot.. About 15 vehicles, 20 rail cars for cargo plus a German ICE, 3 trams and a shunter (sp?).. Combined with 6 new Kato trams and 8 non-motored Tomytecs and I am set for a while.

The sad part is that I must have paid way too much for this stuff. I got some from the LHS and the rest from a dealer who I have come to realize is a lot pf pretentious wind. For example, I paid $100 for the trams 10 years ago, and they are really not that detailed and certainly no comparison to Kato.

We should get you a JNS Rail Police label.

Well if you guys aren't gonna do it I guess I'm just gonna have to make one MYSELF.

I like the avatar mate! Also one of favourite Diesel's of all time - the Class 37!