Neon Noir Designs

Kamome442

Kamome442
Posted (edited)

Coming Soon

End of the month means pay day and the chance to buy some new items for the shop. I placed an order for the following:

American style N-scale tree grates:

Screenshot2024-02-24at14_33_43.thumb.png.f29c9227e2a3f0441faa28e139e8b87f.png

UK & ROI style N-gauge fences:

Screenshot2024-03-01at15_06_09.thumb.png.8edac57efb86bcd8d5e856c8a791dada.png

UK style OO gauge tree grates:

Screenshot2024-03-02at14_56_20.thumb.png.13ce1608ac21b729269083e18dc9d271.png

Coming Not So Soon

I also placed an order for what I hope is the final revision of the fire escapes.

Screenshot2024-03-02at12_43_31.thumb.png.f95d8d7a27c3708d1d0c7a67623c70d9.png

The etch is drawn up but I just want to check the fit and finish following the last set of alterations. If all goes well I will order the version for sale next month.

Also on that etch is the first test of some American fire escapes:

Screenshot2024-03-02at14_00_52.thumb.png.970e2d4f1cd3443caea2fb87d9eb9c6d.png

I know these are something that is already available but I think I can add some variety and choice with my own designs. I am also working on some half landing Japanese fire escapes.

Joe

Edited by Kamome442
  • Like 4
Kamome442

I placed an order for following Guard rail fence designs today:

Screenshot2024-04-02at22_02_58.thumb.png.029ac7cdc0f75c0396544da2f921ffb6.png

They should be be available at the end of the month.

I will also be placing the order fire escapes in the next few days.

• Like 3
Kamome442

As well as the fire escapes I was able to get the production version of some new pipe barriers done and ordered today. 

Screenshot2024-04-05at21_07_18.thumb.png.5cbcda982c584cf794237a2067c13925.png

That should keep me busy for a while!

• Like 5
Martijn Meerts

Since I'm not building N-scale things at the moment, I can't really use any of this, but a lot of them look so nice that I've been tempted to get some stuff 😄

• Thanks 1

Joe’s etches are just total awesome sauce!

jeff

• Thanks 1
Kamome442

Thank you @Martijn Meerts I am going to be releasing the animal barriers in HO if that is any use to you. They are drawn up and ready to go. I have spent way too much on etches this month so I will order them at the beginning of May once I have been paid.

I also have some test samples for N and HO manhole covers seeing as I have been promising them for ages, they just take ever such a long time to draw up. 

My current plan is to produce a large sheet with a mixture of generic looking covers in different sizes and shapes. Then to offer separate smaller sheets with local/area spacific designs on.

These are the designs I am testing in HO, not all of them will work but I hope to get at least 6 that I can release and then rework the others.

Screenshot2024-04-06at14_47_07.thumb.png.f596b2dc2ccd168961c9a9f8a481f901.png

Joe

• Like 5
Martijn Meerts

I'll have to see what works. For now I'm still mostly building rolling stock, so I can determine the minimum radius especially for the JNR branch line part. I'm also not quite sure what I would need once I start building scenery 🙂

Manhole cover 1 sure is generic enough to be usable I believe.

Kamome442

Not Very Clear

I was thinking more generic than cover 1, sorry I wasn't very clear in my last post.

Working on Yurakucho most of the covers I have drawn up very plain indeed. See below:

Screenshot2024-04-09at12_27_24.thumb.png.acacd349e90ce5bd5213977a4da9087a.png

While not very interesting they are a lot more common than the decorative covers and possibly more useful.

I have included a couple of these designs in 1:150 on Etched Parts 1, I really need to redraw them for 1:80 along with road signs at some point.

There are also the big lids, that have a standard 60cm cover mounted within them for inspections.

Screenshot2024-04-09at12_33_08.thumb.png.6e1fe638942d8f98cebde0dd9818ff37.png

I was thinking of making a set of these with holes in the middle so that you can choose the cover you want in the middle. They are sometimes mismatched.

Quick note

The UK and US tree grates are now available on Etsy:

Screenshot2024-04-09at14_51_12.thumb.png.92e6a5019f989e4450ab63833d1b25f6.png

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1697610110

Screenshot2024-04-09at14_04_38.thumb.png.c1bf3a228210f8b64e52983e04e76b7b.png

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1697233706

I will add them to BOOTH later today.

Joe

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Ah yeah... I'll definitely be interested in some things once I really get started. Of course, my H0 is 1/87, but for these kinda small things I don't think the difference between 1/80 and 1/87.

I am still also doing some N-scale though, probably mainly Enoden T-Trak for now. For that of course I could use a bunch of stuff. But it's all slow going at the moment 🙂

• Like 1
Kamome442

Regarding the manhole covers would it be worth me creating a printable set of the painted covers similar to the roadsigns.

A lot of the designs would be near impossible to paint accurately however if they are printed on waterslide transfer paper it would just be a case of cutting them out.

An example of how they would look using these 5 designs:

Screenshot2024-04-20at20_17_17.thumb.png.75af25ac85d7b7475183d93d2ee52646.png

Printed at 1:150:

Screenshot2024-04-20at20_10_44.thumb.png.6e576e86749271c922c1bb4985c2b6c2.png

Printed at 1:80:

Screenshot2024-04-20at20_10_59.thumb.png.2ae02c86d73450ed8a4ee14c2fdef99a.png

The designs may will need to be optimised for smaller scales but I should be able to create a sheets at whatever scale anyone needs.

In other news I finally found a squid fence in the wild.

Screenshot2024-04-20at20_07_21.thumb.png.ffb0ef28e11c93e2634a16592eb1c78a.png

I have seen the wave fence before but with no details about its location. This picture was labelled as 'guardrail in Squid Town'. The reference on the picture suggested it was take in Nakadomari, Aomori. I haven't managed to find an exact location.

I also found a partial picture of these rather lovely Igloo design from Tatooine Yokote.

Screenshot2024-04-20at20_06_53.thumb.png.6595ebcfc018005a26f318db63710977.png

Joe

• Like 4
maihama eki

Maybe it would be worthwhile to do those manhole covers with the pattern half etched (if possible?) and provide the artwork sheet. Then, you would have the option to try to paint them or apply a water slide decal. With a good solvent decal setting solution, thin decal film, and careful placement, you might be able to get the decal to settle into the half etch and look like paint. To align the decal with the etched manhole cover, some sort of alignment feature on the decal and etch could be provided - perhaps a small notch in the outer ring at 12 o’clock.

Either way would be challenging at n-scale, but I would give it a try.

and, love the Tatooine rail!

Edited by maihama eki
  • Thanks 1
Kamome442

I like that idea @maihama eki I will test that when I get the next set of samples. If lightly pressed in place the transfer would presumably pick up the texture of the etch beneath.

While I love the idea of decals on top of etched metal manhole covers, it’s just not working at N scale. Even if the prototype etched depth of the manhole patter is 1cm the scale etched depth is the .067mm which is nothing. So at N scale would be best to just drop decals or printed manhole covers on your streets. Even at 6” viewing distances you are just not going to see this depth detail.

jeff

• Thanks 1
Kamome442

That is fair @cteno4 you are absolutely right. 

I will have a go at a sheet of printable manhole covers on proper transfer paper and post photos of the results. 

If they are any good I will have a go at making an A4 sheet to download. 

I like the idea of not having to faff around sending off test etches and waiting weeks to find out if worked 😆

• Like 1

I will temper my above comment that we do a lot of details off scale to see them at any distance and make them look right to the viewer. Since we usually look at model scenes at least a foot and usually 2 feet or more, we are at like 150’-300’ scale feet away. At these distances are visual memory is very different than it is in our normal interactions with our environment at a few feet to a few dozen feet so our expectations on details we see and how we see them will change. Our field of view also gets way messed up when viewing a model and thus warps how we see details in the model compared to our visual memories of looking at the real world. We hold a vast data set of visual memories of then real world around us to help us to quickly process our visual input and to calculate faster what we are going to do physically to interact with that world.

I’ve used this example a lot of sidewalk height. They should be 1mm high at the very most to ne at scale. But when you look at 1mm model sidewalks at a couple of feet away our mind says something is wrong as the vertical height disappears. Make the sidewalk 2mm high and then it looks right at a distance, but now the sidewalks are practically knee high to walkers and wrong up close. It’s always a bit of a tradeoff.

This is because we have tons of very strong visual memory of sidewalks up close with us having to navigate them on foot and in cars all the time. Also up close in real life we look at them sideways so see the visual height much more side on, but when looking at a model scene we are almost always looking at the scene from a height as well as a distance so the at an oblique angle to the side of the sidewalk so its height is diminished visually. Also we usually don’t look or interact with a real life scene at greater distances of like 100m so we just don’t register these oddities, but when looking at a model we switch our brains into examining the scene and thus accentuating these oddities that our brain usually ignores as we may only interact with a distant scene looking for a particular thing like a shop or other specific thing and again our minds then ignore the details looking for a specific thing.

some of this can be be helped with coloration and contrasts to help visual details stand out a bit more at distance so when you study a model scene at a foot or two and thus help get us deal with seeing the things our visual memory is now expecting to see (but in real life at those distance we would not see much but just don’t remember those distance views much at all.

textures definitely fall into this category as at scale they are so minuscule they would not be visually discernible. Sand for instance is a really tough one and one that has that odd visual close memory attached. Even very corse sand in real life you can’t see the grains past a few feet away and it’s actually a blob of color with just a bit of texture and maybe color texture as well. At scale and at a bit of distance all that would be gone and it would be a pretty much uniform surface texture. But do a beach scene like that and our minds eye says tilt! But put down the finest sand you can find and our minds eye says “yes beach!” but up close you see the sun bathers are saying on a gravel beach!

In this case if the manhole covers I’m thinking a lot can be done with the printing to accentuate the details than you could ever do with a decal on top of a etched cover, I think the two are just going to fight too much and then look wrong. At 6mm across max I doubt decal softener will end up giving any real texture to the surface of the decal from the etches in the cover below. I worry even applying a decal to a road will make the decal stick up too much, but dull coat layer may fare it in well.

years  ago I printed a bunch of streets for my street car 25mm Ttrak modules. I was inspired by one of the forum members (I think in England) doing a terminus street scene for a small show layout and they had great success printing out their streets and adding tons of details, even tire and oil stains. My first round was simple and had a second round I started with with more detail, but never finished it, but I was amazed what could be done to accentuate details to get over the above dilemmas, just took a lot of experimenting. Road texture is another thing that is not 3D at scale at all by scale, but we again have a visual experience and expectations for it being there even at a distance and printed textures can help bridge this.

i find this fascinating that what we think we see and how we see it not perfect reality! This is one of the aspects I love to play with in modeling to mess with the viewer’s visual memory to your advantage and try to make them see things not really there.

cheers

jeff

• Like 3