Help - searching for a station

FrictionShifter

FrictionShifter

Hi. Long time reader, but just now joined and this is my first post!

I am looking for the name of a station in Japan I saw a report on on NHK World this past year. I searched their site, but came up empty. The station was in the mountains, rural, and quite isolated. It was noted for its infrequent use, but that it was still in service. it was served by a single-car train, and the station itself was very small, but still tended to.

I realize this is completely vague, but definitely hoping someone can help me out. It was presented as a quite famous spot, so hopefully one of you will know. Anyway, it seems like a situation ripe for modeling.

bikkuri bahn

Barring reference to the specific NHK world report, finding the specific station would be like the proverbial needle in a haystack- such stations are numerous.  Did you remember the type of railcar- diesel or electric, color scheme, door types (sliding or accordion type), also the company operating the line- JR, private railway, or third-sector?

FrictionShifter

Yes, it is definitely a search for a needle in a haystack. But I think "Station World" might have it. It might take a while to dig through those photos, but will update if and when I find the right one.

Thanks for the help so far and Happy New Year.

Go ducks.

FrictionShifter

After searching that great site, I think I found a few stations comparable to what I remember - Okoba and Yatake.

My search also led me to this blog - http://railmind.blogspot.com/

An excellent resource, which I am sure many of you know of already.

CaptOblivious

Railmind's been playing around with the idea of modelling Okoba station for a while. Because I read his blog, my first thought was that you might be looking for Okoba, but I seem to recall the videos that Railmind posted had multiple-carraige units attending it. Anyway, it's certainly a fascinating station, even if it isn't what you were looking for.

I am looking for the name of a station in Japan I saw a report on on NHK World this past year. I searched their site, but came up empty. The station was in the mountains, rural, and quite isolated. It was noted for its infrequent use, but that it was still in service. it was served by a single-car train, and the station itself was very small, but still tended to.

What you are looking for is known in Japan as a hikyō station (秘境駅, hikyō eki?), or "secluded station," according to a Japanese Wikipedia page.  These are secluded but active stations which sometimes gain publicity through tv shows or publication in books.  There is a down side to this as there is sometimes an increase in graffiti and dangerous activities around the stations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiky%C5%8D_station

That note this web site noted on the Wkipedia article may be of interest.

http://hp1.cyberstation.ne.jp/hikyoueki/

So much for getting any work done today!  :grin

Thanks for the excellent links.

Been there, done that.  :grin  Oh have I ever! 

Mudkip Orange

There is a down side to this as there is sometimes an increase in graffiti and dangerous activities around the stations.

Like an increased risk that Shashinka will Krylon all over your Subaru 360.