E217 series and "where it could help?"

LevIsJR_EAST_fan

LevIsJR_EAST_fan

Introduction:

Hello everyone! Today we will talk about E217 series and where it could help. Firstly, i think everyone knows that soon E235-1000 series will replace E217 series on Sobu Rapid, Yokosuka Lines and "thru services" on Sotobo and Uchibo lines.

History:

E217 wasnt too popular train type on JR EAST. It serviced Tokaido, Shonan-Shinjuku, Yokosuka and Sobu Rapid lines as "own train". On tokaido line it used on 10+5 car form and in Yokosuka and Sobu Rapid lines it using on 11+4 cars form. E217 was working on Shonan-Shinjuku line before 2006 (Shinjuku - Zushi). After 2006 its went to Tokaido Line. In 2015, Tokaido line sets transferred to Yokosuka/Sobu Lines. E217s working alongside with E235-1000s on Yokosuka/Sobu Lines. It using as "thru service" on Sotobo and Uchibo lines, alongside with E209 series.

"Where it could help?"

Firstly: it could help on afore said Sotobo and Uchibo lines. It could replace some of E209 seires, some of them need to be retired, so E217 series could replace them.

Secondly: it sad, but most popular way: cut into scrap metal. On my opinion, this way has a place to be, but not for all trains.

Thirdly: it could help on Agatsuma and Ryomo lines. It could replace some of 211 series.

Fourthly: sell to Indonesia. Some of, Greater Tokyo operators (like: Toei, JR EAST, Tokyu, Tokyo Metro) sells old trains to Indonesia's company called KRL Commuterline. JR EAST selled 205 and 203 series. There are rumors, that JR EAST will sell some of trains to Indonesia.

Fivethly: JR EAST could sell E217s to other Japanese operators. JR EAST already selled 209 series to Izukyu and 205 series to FujiKyu. 

Outro:

Thanks everyone for reading this post. I will say that this post only my opinion, you can tell your opinion in comments. BTW, you can sub to me, and make me more happy! Cya!

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

The E217 series were/are used on the long distance suburban routes, very high mileage and high sustained speeds, which really wears out the lightweight carbodies.  Though they share the carbody construction method as the other "cheapie-recyclery" 209 series, those models were used on less demanding (on the carbodies) local services, so those are still viable for cascading even beyond their projected 20 year service life.  Most E217 units are clapped out I reckon.

There are some rumors of formations going to Jakarta, but likely they have to be reformed into shorter formations with more motor units to improve acceleration.

• Like 4