Resources for learning iTrain

gavino200

I've been working on learning I train for quite a while but it's been tough. There's a great video series available but it gives out a lot of information and it follows what is for me an odd teaching process. I've been wishing all along that they had some sort of step-by-step guide that walks you through setting up a basic layout. I found out yesterday that, in fact they do, but it's tucked away in a corner of the forum, which is itself mentioned in an appendix at the back of the manual. I wish I had these resources when starting out. So if anyone in the future is trying out iTrain these are the resources available.

This is the manual in English . It's pretty good as manuals go. But it would be difficult to learn something like DCC automation from a manual like this alone.

This is a step-by-step guide for setting up a small layout. This is probably the best place to start. Set up an oval, get your trains working and later add some turnouts. When you're comfortable move on to the video series.

This is an excellent video series that explains all the subtleties of iTrain. If you're a sophisticated, tech savvy user you could probably go straight to using these videos together with the manual. You can find it directly on YouTube but this link has an index which is useful in case you don't have a photographic memory.

Lastly, an perhaps most importantly there is an iTrain forum. Here you can post your layout file, and seek help if you can't otherwise find an answer. That will occur for sure. People here are very knowledgeable. Most of the people are polite and helpful. One or two are consistently borderline rude and minimally helpful. It's an excellent resource.

Also, don't forget to use the latest version of Java and keep windows updated.

Good luck.

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 2