Chuo Line E233

bill937ca

Why do I get the distinct sense that this video has been sped up.

I'm looking for signs the video has been sped up, but I don't see them. People or trees in the scenes look normal.  He seems to like to shoot from a low angle where the trains are moving at a good clip.  Many photographers shoot near stations at grade crossings where some or all trains are not moving so fast.  There are no grade crossing sounds in this guys videos. His trains move at good clip the way our trains sometimes do on our layouts.

CaptOblivious

It's not even moving at top speed! In the second scene, on the bridge, if you time how long it takes one of the 20m cars to pass one of the catenary towers, I get about 3/4 of a second. So the train is moving at (about!) 27m/s which is about 97km/h. The E233 has a top speed of, what, 110, 120km/h?

it does no look sped up to me, but i think with digital the frame rates tend to appear more clipped than with older mediums, which gives a faster appearance.

It's not even moving at top speed! In the second scene, on the bridge, if you time how long it takes one of the 20m cars to pass one of the catenary towers, I get about 3/4 of a second. So the train is moving at (about!) 27m/s which is about 97km/h. The E233 has a top speed of, what, 110, 120km/h?

Well with zoning and sound restrictions, that might be the top speed.  Heres a example. See the Series 500 has a top speed of 320km/h, but while in urban and congested places, it's limited to 300km/h. 

I was under the impression that the narrow gauge trains where generally limited to something like 110km/h, and less for areas where the track wouldn't support it (i.e. sharp curves, tricky grades, areas requiring special maintenance).

IDK, David, I thought the 223 series on JR West ran about 120-130kph on the Kyoto line when I last rode it back in 2005.

Well maybe a new sound/congestion thing was put in place since 2005. 

IDK, David, I thought the 223 series on JR West ran about 120-130kph on the Kyoto line when I last rode it back in 2005.

Well maybe a new sound/congestion thing was put in place since 2005. 

I've probably got the numbers mixed up - maybe I'm thinking of the downtown/urban limits, which makes more sense. With some stations less then 1km apart, and trains coming as frequently as 90 seconds, you just couldn't run up to those speeds without slamming peoples faces into the glass everytime you got too close to another trains block. I'm not sure about the 223 series specifics, but I know a lot of comparible EMUs take almost a minute to come to a full stop from 200km/h - with trains less then 2 minutes apart that would be a scary margin of error to be working with. On the suburban lines where you have more room to work it would make more sense to drive the train at full speed.