Kato Single Crossovers

CDOT

Setting up a layout that has three single crossovers from Kato (part nos 20230 and 20231). The layout will run off a digitrax system and all of the turnouts will be connected to DS74 controllers. I know that for a double crossover, Digitrax recommends assigning it to an entire DS74.

Although the singles have two switches inside them, does anyone know if I can get away with using one of the four DS74 connections for the whole crossover or would I have to keep two aside for each of these. Two makes sense to me, but I don't want to waste space on my DS units if I don't have to.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1

The Crossover switches have a single connection so it won't be a problem. Besides there's no way to single out the switches

without tearing them up. These are what they call snap switches. It uses a momentary burst of voltage which isn't a serious load

on the DS74.

Inobu

• Like 1

I use the DS64 for my turnouts, never had any problem with my double crossover. I think what you mean is when you would use the DS51K1 which can't handle more than one single turnout.

The DS64 were marketed as a stationary decoder where you can connect the Kato double crossover with one cable (as i remember). I guess the DS74 won't be different

• disturbman changed the title to Kato Single Crossovers