Bringing stuff back from Japan any tips?

Well Im wishing hard here but I entered a contest to win a trip to Japan. On the off chance I win Im plan on doing some shopping of course, Im not familiar with customs and model trains, what has been your experience?

No problems unless, you are bring in more than $800 USD in goods. After that, you have to declare it in customs and pay duty on the goods.

Thanks Shashinka thats good to know.

I'll admit, when I go to Japan, I primary spend all my time shooting trains, and when I buy stuff, it has historically been books and DVDs, and not so much models themselves. I may buy a few in Osaka, but I'll go for more DVD's and books as they are harder to get here in the states than the models themselves.

Never had any trouble bringing things back into Australia. I'm planning a trip next year but I imagine I won't be buying as much while I'm there as buying online gets easier. I'll probably spend more time railfanning than tracking down hobby shops.

Never had any trouble bringing things back into Australia. I'm planning a trip next year but I imagine I won't be buying as much while I'm there as buying online gets easier. I'll probably spend more time railfanning than tracking down hobby shops.

Westfallen - does it actually cost less money to buy in Japan than online?

Why I ask this is because it's actually cheaper to buy online from a big local train store near me (NY, USA) than to go into the shop. They offer more discounts online and if you're out of state, there is no tax just shipping.

Just have fun and get a Japan Rail Pass before you go.

Hobby shops have cheaper prices than their online counterparts.  Also, look for pre-owned train stores, money save are amazing.

Bring lots of cash since it is a cash based society.

If this is your first time, mix it up between the traditional Kyoto or Miyajima with modern Tokyo

I still debate on the Japan Rail Pass value. Unless, you are doing a lot of travel of any distance, for my three trips, I've found I lose money with the pass. If you are staying within the immediate Tokyo area, you'll never use as much as you've paid for the card. If you plan to spend a lot of time actually on the trains traveling within the region then it becomes worth it.

Then again, I think I spent more on platform passes than I did using my Suica/Icoca cards. (Note IC cards do not work for as platform passes, the turnstiles do not like them and it's a lot of fun explaining to the gate attendant.) I want to say on the Tokyo trip, for 6 days, I spent about 140 USD on my Suica card.

For my Aizu-Wakamazu/Hokkaido trip, I plan to get the rail pass becasue I'll be traveling from Tokyo, to Hokkaido via Aizu, then it becomes more worth it. However there are passes good for a week that cover just certain regions like the Kanto Fun Pass, or something to that affect that covers JR East trains within Kanto.

Model trains are fine because they are based on 12v DC or less, but if you widen your scope to general consumer electronics there are voltage issues.

electronics have better prices and warranty from Japan's exported countries.  I won't recommend you to buy any electronics unless you have to go to great lengths to get them in your own hometown.

No problems unless, you are bring in more than $800 USD in goods. After that, you have to declare it in customs and pay duty on the goods.

Is that for the US? At least in Canada the customs/duty limit depends on how long you are out of the country - 1 day or less puts you into the lowest group (I think it's $50 with no exception for smokes or booze), under 7 days puts you into another, and more then 7 or more days gives you the biggest amount before you have to pay any duty.

electronics have better prices and warranty from Japan's exported countries.  I won't recommend you to buy any electronics unless you have to go to great lengths to get them in your own hometown.

Depending on what it is. I can tell ya from my trips to Japan when I looked at camera gerar, Nikon bodies and lenses sold for 20% more in Japan than in the states. I nearly coughed a lung when I saw what the 70-200 VR lens was selling for vs the US at B&H which is known to be high dollar to the US camera market.

At the time, the lens was 1795 USD

In Japan it was 205'000 JPN

Price variance was about the same for camera bodies as well, from the three shops I stopped at in Tokyo and the one in Miyazaki.

I noticed similar discrepancy when looking at netbooks there was well.

Westfallen - does it actually cost less money to buy in Japan than online?

Why I ask this is because it's actually cheaper to buy online from a big local train store near me (NY, USA) than to go into the shop. They offer more discounts online and if you're out of state, there is no tax just shipping.

I guess it's cheaper buying in Japan in that you don't have to pay shipping, I'll probably concentrate on items that might attract higher postal charges like books, they can add up in weight. As to2leo says, you can find some good, hard to find second hand items. Also don't forget anything you buy, you have to carry home.

In response to the new baggage policy...

Don't bring your trains in your carry-on.  There is no need.  Just smack a 'Fragile' sticker on the check-in luggage and put all your trains there.  In return, carry your light and bulky items clothing in your carry on.  I would also suggest you do the same for laptops unless you cannot live without on board.  Also, don't carry any liquid item on boards (personal stuff) for speedier security check. 

In response to the new baggage policy...

Don't bring your trains in your carry-on.  There is no need.  Just smack a 'Fragile' sticker on the check-in luggage and put all your trains there.  In return, carry your light and bulky items clothing in your carry on.  I would also suggest you do the same for laptops unless you cannot live without on board.  Also, don't carry any liquid item on boards (personal stuff) for speedier security check. 

I'd trust letting my laptop go checked as much as I'd trust security to actually be capable of doing their jobs.

CaptOblivious

Had my laptop stolen out of checked baggage on my way back from Tokyo a few ywaers back, ugh. But I also put some model trains (thanks Alpine!) In my checked baggae from Oz with no problems. Its all in the packing...

Yikes, I guess I am fortunate so far.  I put my laptop in the middle of my luggage.  I don't bring it with me because some security personnel does ask you to turn on your notebook, go thru all your files and ask what they are.  I saw it happened at border crossings even for Americans..let alone the others...

BTW, do you guys put airport security approved locks to lock your checked baggage?  I do that.  I also take a picture of what and how I packed before I go.

I never let my laptop or cameras go checked, apart from the standard procedure of having to take my laptop out of its case to put it through the x-ray I've never had anyone worry about it. When I pack trains in my checked bags I usually pack my clothes around them as padding.

Yikes, I guess I am fortunate so far.  I put my laptop in the middle of my luggage.  I don't bring it with me because some security personnel does ask you to turn on your notebook, go thru all your files and ask what they are.  I saw it happened at border crossings even for Americans..let alone the others...

BTW, do you guys put airport security approved locks to lock your checked baggage?  I do that.  I also take a picture of what and how I packed before I go.

TSA approved locks is stupid becasue the baggage handlers have those keys as well, they're not hard to get on eBay. All those locks do is tell the thieves, "Look, I have something valuable" On a side note, two of the last three trips where my bags were checked, they were lost and have yet after several years to be recovered. So, I haven't allowe a bag to be checked since 2000.

I guess im just lucky again i have flown all over the world and never lost any checked luggage (other than going wayward for a day or two) or had anything taken from checked luggage. at times i have checked some semi valuable stuff (had to do computers in the early days when they could not come on with me) and brought a huge amount of my father's wood shop from california to dc in checked luggage (i can imagine the look on the TSA xray guys face seeing a bag full of circular saw blades go by!) with no problems or losses. never locked bags as i figured it was just a sign saying look in here for something good and if TSA wants a peek they would get clipped off anyway.

cheers

jeff

I live in Canada, I just EMS my stuff back everytime I go to Japan.  So far, I haven't have any problem.  I shipped over $3000 worth of stuff during my last trip, and carried back with me approximately $2000 worth of goods...

I live in Canada, I just EMS my stuff back everytime I go to Japan.  So far, I haven't have any problem.  I shipped over $3000 worth of stuff during my last trip, and carried back with me approximately $2000 worth of goods...

Picture! We'd love to see what you got for your roster. Are you in the planning stages of a layout?  :thumbsup:

Yup, still planning.  I am a newbie at this.  My dad used to build HO scale British based scene, but I am more into Japanese layout.  The current idea is to have 3 active train, the yamanote will represent "Tokyo", a Shinkansen to travel from one end of the dining room to the other (Tokyo to Kyoto), another set will be built for "Kyoto" which I haven't decide on what to use, maybe a lightrail kit of some sort.  Thought about  building an "underground" chikatetsu with transparent piping and led lighting, but that will have to come later. 

My wife suggest that we should also build a third area for Yokohama because we had such good memories there during our honeymoon, but then that may take up the entire dining room.  I can post a quickly drawn up layout if i can figure out how to attach a picture

Martijn Meerts
My wife suggest that we should also build a third area for Yokohama

Damn, I never thought that to be possible ;)