How did you improve your rolling stock today? (HO & other scales)

Jaco3011

shadowtiger25

Replaced this connector so that my Tenshodo C62-2 Hokkaido style can run again.

Luckily it was a simple repair, unplug the 2 connectors, desolder one wire, then plug the new one in and solder that wire to the new light board

20231020_133245.thumb.jpg.bf6ee659de8204658f40899b1223541b.jpg

What are people’s view on mixing 1/72 military vehicles with 1/80 flat cars? 

I would normally say for 1/87 HO this would be very noticeable but unsure in 1/80. Umming whether to build a short military logistic train using Tramway Chiki 7000s.  Aoshima and Fujimi produce quite a lot of JGSDF equipment in 1/72. Thinking the largest loads would be Type 96 APC from Komatsu along with a few lighter vehicles. Can’t seem to find any FH70 155mm Howitzer models in this scale. Fujimi announced it but trail seems to have gone quiet. The tarps over the Tramway ones look horrific. 

7 hours ago, Kamome said:

What are people’s view on mixing 1/72 military vehicles with 1/80 flat cars?

My view is that 1/72 vehicles are already too obviously large in 1/76 so 1/80 would probably be too much. Using 1/80 vehicles in 1/87 doesn't really work either.

That's with the items in different scales in proximity to one another. Placing one directly on the other would really make it obvious. Yes, a light vehicle would physically fit even though oversize but if it is taking up as much space as a heavy vehicle should that will look very weird.

That is just my view though. Looking at your workbench thread makes it clear your sense of what is important in a convincing model is quite different from mine. You might be satisfied with the result. Maybe just try one wagon with a vehicle or two and see how it looks?

• Thanks 1

Yeah I think the issue with most military vehicles is they are bigger than usual vehicles already so even at scale they look even more oversized to our minds eye as most of our visual memory of vehicles being regular cars and trucks, not oversized military vehicles. Then add on the extra 10% with the 1/72 scale may make it stand out a lot in a 1/80 scene. Perhaps get a couple inexpensive 1/72 models and plop it on a flat to see how it feels to your eyes, that’s what’s important. Many take much more from the meaning of the scene and that pushes aside small differences, others go batty if something is just a tiny tad off. I’ve always enjoyed seeing how much you can play with your own mind’s eye and that of the average viewer of the layout and never bother with trying to satisfy the it must be spot on viewer as I know I will never be able to satisfy them.

I expect you will definitely notice the difference if the 1/72 military vehicles are near any regular 1/80 regular vehicles. The eye definitely goes to any 1/160 (6.7% smaller) or 1/144 (4% bigger) vehicles put in amidst some 1/150 vehicles, but if separated you don’t notice it much. Also depends on viewing distance and angle, our eyes stop comparing small changes in sizes as much with more distance and at an angle you can hide odd things, but you can’t always control the viewing angle and/or distance.

cheers,

jeff

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comments @Beaver @cteno4 I was trying to mock up some rough sizes on a drawing program to get an idea of size but wasn’t convinced. When thinking about literal millimetres of difference, it didn’t seem that much, but across 3 dimensions, I wasn’t sure and your comments have confirmed my reservations.

Shame as the models themselves look nicely detailed. Definitely a big gap in the market for 1/80 anything. 

8 hours ago, Beaver said:

Looking at your workbench thread makes it clear your sense of what is important in a convincing model is quite different from mine. You might be satisfied with the result.

No offense taken 😂

I appreciate your comments. I would be interested in your thoughts though. As a relatively inexperienced modeller, I’d be happy to get input on what works and what doesn’t for others. I am open to some honest critique on what to look for or where to improve as long as it isn’t just “your models look like shiitake!”  Not to say I will always agree, but good to take on others views and perceptions and tips and tricks to help me become more accomplished.