How did you improve your rolling stock today? (HO & other scales)

Jaco3011

IMG_20210728_223936508.thumb.jpg.afc46b99743a46ef936b4bf094f8a6c4.jpg
Fitting NEM couplers into this 1/80 tanker by Tomix. First already done, the other one is waiting for its turn.

Not a fix per se, but there's no thread "How did you improve your rolling stock" for H0/other scales.

• cteno4 changed the title to How did you improve your rolling stock today? (HO & other scales)
  • cteno4 pinned this topic

I know you have discussed on a different thread, your frustration at the lack of true gauged (12mm) RTR HOm stock. This image for me looks horrifying as I can forgive the out of scale track gauge but not this size of coupler.

Forgive my ignorance but is this style of coupler just used to join to specific European rolling stock or is there some functionality to these couplers that you wouldn’t  get from a more scale size option?

My view is that these would probably hide well with rolling stock with buffers but less so with rolling stock from countries that don’t have them.

Edited by Kamome
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I was wondering about those couplers, they looked rather odd as in HO there is so much more size to do things prototypically.

jeff

2 hours ago, Kamome said:

I know you have discussed on a different thread, your frustration at the lack of true gauged (12mm) RTR HOm stock. This image for me looks horrifying as I can forgive the out of scale track gauge but not this size of coupler.

Forgive my ignorance but is this style of coupler just used to join to specific European rolling stock or is there some functionality to these couplers that you wouldn’t  get from a more scale size option?

My view is that these would probably hide well with rolling stock with buffers but less so with rolling stock from countries that don’t have them.

This coupler is standard European coupler, and this is the exact functionality I'm getting - I'm able to connect to European models. It sticks out too much, but it's just a visual thing.

This is a relic of the 60s, my dad's old Märklin trains all had them. I can't believe European manufacturers have not moved on since then.

As @Kamomesaid, I don't see the point of wanting to model HOm to be closer to real scales if it's too disfigure your rollingstock with such out of scale couplers. @Jaco3011couldn't you use a coupler with a shorter shank?

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, disturbman said:

This is a relic of the 60s, my dad's old Märklin trains all had them. I can't believe European manufacturers have not moved on since then.

As @Kamomesaid, I don't see the point of wanting to model HOm to be closer to real scales if it's too disfigure your rollingstock with such out of scale couplers. @Jaco3011couldn't you use a coupler with a shorter shank?

That shank came out like this, because I modified that part. I' screwed up drilling one hole, so now I have to buy new couplers. The tanker doesn't have European coupler socket, which is the reason couplers made in Europe can be easily exchanged.

I'm going to use IMON couplers as the default ones, they look excellent. NEMs are only for shared play on H0m meetings.

5 hours ago, Kamome said:

out of scale track gauge

Bogies may be too narrow, but the gauge (12mm) is closer to the 1/80 equivalent (13,3375mm) than original one (16,5mm).

4 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I was wondering about those couplers, they looked rather odd as in HO there is so much more size to do things prototypically.

jeff

I remember some of my old Lima OO scale trains had those things. Early 80's but they were second hand and old even then. They look awful but they worked ok. The British Hornby style ones weren't much prettier but also worked ok.

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

Yeah the D loop tension hook couplers were on everything and these were still being used on British 00 models until about 10 years ago. Even today the only advancement in this area is a smaller version which still look too big. 

Thankfully most use NEM pockets so a lot of modellers remove the coupler and detail one end to look more realistic. It then means you can only couple to one end of a loco.

• Like 2

I'm surprised the euro models don't go to kadee type couplers.  While they are not prototypical, they're at least more functional and less obtrusive than the hook and loop they seem to use now.  The insistence on everything having to conform to ultra narrow starter set radius, even on high end models seems to have stunted their industry.  

I think a lot of British modellers are switching to using Kadees, especially those who want to replicate freight operations. There is also a good number of collectors of British models who just want one of everything to keep rather than turn into something more realistic.

There are advantages to those D Loop couplers in that they are very easy to uncouple with just a bent piece of wire and they would couple on bends as long as they weren’t too tight. 

I have been really impressed with Kadee scale head couplers. I know Imon do even smaller ones but I find the track a bit bumpy at most of the rental layouts. If I had space for my own HO layout i’d consider going for smaller, even more realistic looking couplers but the scale head are a compromise I can live with. Just wish Japanese retailers would buy the bulk packs rather than just the packs of 4.

• Like 1
roadstar_na6

I think knuckle couplers on a Euro loco would look even more weird than this. My most recent H0 loco came with these hook couplers as well, I converted it to automatic ones.

image.thumb.jpeg.f46eb5c00ce11beb84d0031c28f9c846.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.49111814a7b1be0028cd38323210caeb.jpeg

Hugh, I find it odd with the size of horribly oversized scale that they did not do nicer couplers that were automatic, somewhat prototypical, and close to scale. But I guess if you run with others you either have to have their standard or one car that’s a adapter car for your own couplers.

jeff

al camino

Nearly one year without new entries. I think it is time to write a few lines.

Last larger improvement on my rolling stock had been installing close coupler to the クモハ41 & クハ55 set by KATO.

The straight stock coupler looked awful.

First I tried KATO close coupler of the Series 20 and also KIHA58 type but they turned out to block the bogies.

Fiddling around I then found the Tomix Tight Lock TN Coupler fit perfectly.

They are in the right place to make good distance between cars and without obstruction to the bogies.

I now also can couple a クモニ83 (Tomix) to the クモハ41.

O.K. this had been done in January and all over the time I intended to take some pictures to post here but ...

Yesterday I decided to do some trials with amending a coupler to the クハ481 to enable a EF63 for helper service.

In fact I needed some more pulling power to the 7 car train with just one powered unit.

The just delivered reproduction of the 481 series by Tomix would serve some power but there are too much unpowered units left.

I'll convert one train to a complete 7 car dummy pulled by the EF63 and move the existing power unit to a 8 car 481 train which will be shipped soon.

I'll reply to my posting here right after I took some images of both.

Completed some short projects thanks to some recently found detailing parts. 

Finally located a Fuji headmark for my express colour EF65. The pack of 4 from Moriya Studio comes with slight colour variations for the EF60/65, ED76, DF50 and EF66. They are very well made from metal although not magnetic to use on the Kato locos directly. They require some double sided tape like many of the Tomix headmarks. 

FD72BC1D-9633-4C00-ADA0-3C7909E69D37.thumb.jpeg.ac656e84a4eab1d5b6c1d1cf4d06cd90.jpeg

I have also started adding the destination signs to the sides of the 50 series for a local service headed to Yamagata. These are very low cost from a small company called Revolution Factory. As these coaches were used across a lot of different areas of Japan, I can forgive Tomix for not including these. They are very crisply printed and stick well to the painted surface only for ¥500 per sheet. 

748CD932-1AC4-4725-A3BE-05294250F72E.thumb.jpeg.58f998d1fd335cb626a2ea075ea8bb52.jpeg

• Like 2