YT Train Videos on iPod

Guest ___

Flash, Silverlight and Java usually work just fine on OS X, but especially Adobe sucks really, REALLY bad at programming for OS X. They're still stuck at 32 bit, and will remain stuck until they change stop using Carbon. The only well programmed Adobe OS X application is Lightroom, and that was already under development by Macromedia before Adobe bought that...

As for Aizu on the iPod, iPhone OS doesn't have Silverlight, or Flash for that matter.

And yet strangely enough the iPod/iPhone handles YouTune as if it were native. But it's kind of funny that OS X has issues with Adobe since Adobe products are designed for Mac, and everything Adobe leases for the PC is essentially ported for Win OS. (forget getting anything Adobe-like for Linux that is any good)

Martijn Meerts

YouTube has recoded all their movies specifically for use with the iPhone and iPod touch. The ones you see on those devices isn't the same version as you see online.

Most Adobe stuff is now made for Windows first, then ported to OS X. They also had a Linux version of Photoshop at some point, but never released it because it just wasn't worth it, supporting it would be too costly :)

Actually none of the movies, I had uploaded to YT that were recorded in .MOV format, will not play on YT on the iPod. Apple's own native format won't play from YT, LOL. (I understand that if I was to directly move my .MOV files to the iPod directly, it would have to be converted in iTunes then exported to the iPod, but it won't play .MOV movies from YT at all)

Martijn Meerts

As far as I know, all movies uploaded to YouTube will be transcoded on the fly to (probably) .FLV for the regular Flash version and then some custom format for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I doubt they keep them in .MOV for the iPhone/iPod Touch because of the file size, I'm guessing they're using some h264 encoding.

Unfortunately there's just too many video formats, it's a nightmare trying to figure all that out. For transcoding stuff to something that can play on the iPhone/iPod Touch though (or something that will import into iTunes without needing to be transcoded again) I normally use Handbrake. Not the best UI, but the conversion is great.

IDK, all I know is every MOV recorded movie tha I have uploaded on YT will not play on the touch, yet the videos I had recorded on older cameras that were not h.264 codec or wmv recorded on an old sony digicam that are on YT play fine. I get an error all the time saying "Video format not supported on iPod" on the YT page. So, I have to believe that there is a codec issue when YT uploads my MOV format.

this is something funny in youtubes transcoding system i expect. when you transcode video you always run the risk some bits are not put ihe right place for all playback systems to be happy. sometimes this is just header info that screws things up. ii have had this trouble in the past when doing transcoding where i could get some apps to read the resulting videos but not others. monkeying with re-saving would clear some of these problems up leading me to believe it was just some header info to the whole file, not something systematic with the codec or data.

Google has been doing a lot of work with their internal codecs for video as things are growing fast with the storage requirements and folks wanting higher quality, so no wonder there may be some hiccups like this...

cheers

jeff

this is something funny in youtubes transcoding system i expect. when you transcode video you always run the risk some bits are not put ihe right place for all playback systems to be happy. sometimes this is just header info that screws things up. ii have had this trouble in the past when doing transcoding where i could get some apps to read the resulting videos but not others. monkeying with re-saving would clear some of these problems up leading me to believe it was just some header info to the whole file, not something systematic with the codec or data.

Google has been doing a lot of work with their internal codecs for video as things are growing fast with the storage requirements and folks wanting higher quality, so no wonder there may be some hiccups like this...

cheers

jeff

The funny thing is that my mother's Nintendo Wii can play my YT videos but not the iPod, LOL