Hiroshima Electric Railway Update 2021

Since my Kato Hiroshima Electric Railway Greenmover LEX arrived I have been updating my knowledge of the Hiroshima tram system, aka Hiroden.  

This video was shot at JR Hiroshima today, April 10, 2021.  There has been a major development push to clear out the old Showa era buildings around the south side of the station. Now there is an Edion store across the drive at the entrance of the tram terminal.  Across the street from the tram terminal is an new Bic Camera store in the base of a monster condo building.  The former taxi rank directly behind the tram terminal is now a construction site.   The tram terminal is looking more and more like Tokyo each day.   Video by moticoma5237 Uploaded April 10, 2021.

Photographer's machine translated notes:  [Hiroshima Station: Hiroshima Eki]. The purpose was to shoot the situation where the demolition work of the station building is in progress, but when I went there, it was the day when baseball was held, so it was a great person. I was able to take a picture of that as well. I also tried using the super wide-angle camera mode of the iphone as an experimental video. I think I was able to get a realistic image. (This is better than slow) Reference Google Maps  https://goo.gl/maps/fSRbzkomJkaHRHod6 

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

A side note on the video above. Between 0800 and 1900 hours on weekdays there are 25 to 29 trams an  hour using the stub end terminal The number reduces a  bit on Saturdays mainly because of reduced trams at 0800 and 0900 hours.  I have seen packed early morning trams seemingly completely full of uniformed students which probably are the difference on a Saturday morning.

A web page directory with photos showing each group of cars.   https://kttri.jp/?page_id=1894   This may make my notes below easier to understand.

Since the first ultra low floor trams for local lines arrived in 2013 there has been a general clearing out of the old trams Hiroshima was long known for. There are three series  of high floor four-axle trams left: the 1900s, 700s and 800s totaling 40 cars.  

Of the other series 351, 352, 353, 582, 602, 651, 652, 762, 913, 1156, 2000 and 3003 are the survivors. When they operate it is mainly in the morning rush hour which has a very heavy peak spike. There is also a traffic spike during the summer fireworks festival on the fourth Saturday in July.

There also are several special service trams. 100, 150, 200 (ex-Hanover), 652 (Atomic Bomb Survivor), 768 (Train Rouge beer tram) and flower car # 50.

During 2020 912, 914, 3004 were scrapped and in 2021 3002 and 3007 have been scrapped.  In 2007 there were 70 vintage cars. Now there are 40 in regular service and 13 spare or rush hour extras  and two special cars operated regularly.. Not sure if 2000 is active.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

Train Rouge is Hiroden's beer "train".  It currently is suspended, but usually operates from July to September.  The trains or trams are very popular and can sell out for the season in a matter of minutes. 

This car had major surgery done to it. The center entrance was eliminated and the bench seating replaced with a custom interior. Link includes a floor plan.

Saturdays and holidays are 10,000 yen for a 2-person table, and 20,000 yen for a 4-person table.

https://trainrouge.com/top.shtml

Video by tanikou768. July 2016.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

Starting in October 2020 construction will start on a new tram terminal at JR Hiroshima.  There will be an elevated approach to the new terminal which it apepars will be inside the terminal.  Completion is scheduled for spring of 2025.

A Japanese language Service Improvement page on the Hiroden website.   https://www.hiroden.co.jp/improve-service/train.html

Coming one after another! 

In the meantime, we have a series of lengthy videos of trams arriving and departing at the Hiroden terminal at JR Hiroshima.  Japanese train and tram fans are going to cry when this place is gone. There are other pinch points on the network, but none quite like this.

Video by tanikou768.

Edited by bill937ca

The newest tram series in Hiroshima, 5206 Greenmover Apex built by U3. Video by Aki Transportation Bureau.

Construction started in October 2020 on a rebuilding of JR Hiroshima Station that will ultimately result in a new elevated tram terminal.  The new tram terminal inside the station is expected to open in spring 2025.  The present JR station in Hiroshima dates to 1965.  Hiroshima will follow Kyoto (1997), Osaka (2011) and Toyama (2014) in having received grand rebuilding of their train stations by JR West.

The new tram terminal appears to be similar to the four track terminal at Port Hiroshima. It appears there will be four tracks, each capable of handing two 30 meter trams. Outside the terminal area there will be a double crossover.  This versus the present terminal only holds 3 trams plus one or tow loading.

Video by bobx1971

There is Japanese language information on these two pages:

https://www.hiroden.co.jp/improve-service/train.html

https://response.jp/article/2019/10/18/327767.html

Edited by bill937ca
  • bill937ca changed the title to Hiroshima Electric Railway Update 2021

Bill,

I've been watching your post and been gathering information for the Trams myself. Here is some info that's good for

future searches. 1006 will be hard to find.

image.thumb.png.0fb0a465b33fb9424eb02a07cae3ad11.png

• Like 2

Yeah, there are four cars with four different tram numbers. There are also four different destination signs.

1007 14-804-1 Greenmover LEX

1001  10-1604  Piccolo / Piccola two set

1002  10-1604 Piccolo / PIccola two set

1006  40-801  Unitram Starter's Set

I worried about the 1006 when I first realized this number existed (I had read the Hobby Search product listings carefully). Then  I realized I can't even read those small numbers on the N scale model. 🙂

Rich K.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, brill27mcb said:

I worried about the 1006 when I first realized this number existed (I had read the Hobby Search product listings carefully). Then  I realized I can't even read those small numbers on the N scale model. 🙂

Rich K.

You can take a picture.  😀

IMG_8448 cropped.jpg

11 minutes ago, brill27mcb said:

Rich K.

Rich,

There are a number of us that base things on what we know verses what we see. Even though we can't see the 6 we know it suppose to be there. It will

worry us to no end until we find the 6. That's kinda why I posted that image as it explains the release packages

Inobu

• Like 1

Bill,

It looks like a Blue one may be coming out.

If you notice Tram 14-804-2 was jumped over. That may support the existence of a blue tram.

Inobu

• Like 1

Changing JR Hiroshima Station. The Asse Building is gone. Video April 24, 2021 by moticoma5237.

Today I came across a prototype for the safety zone offered in Tomix 3076 and 3079. It is an older style of platform shelter and this the first I have seen this on a Hiroshima video.  Video by 芸摂電鉄

This is on  Line 5 at Minami-machi 2-chome Station (H8) on the Hiroden Hijiyama Line.

Video by C53 98

Here it is on Google Streets from the opposite end.    https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3741136,132.4645876,3a,15y,14.92h,88.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLrRJwvygT3P-SO3_uMoJUw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by bill937ca