Does anyone know what era these are?

David

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10044940

This looks like an interesting set, but I can't read Japanese.

Doesn't anyone recognize what specific type of cars they are beyond "express freight" - what era they where used on, what they carried. The last car looks to have some passenger space on it - is that what it's meant to be, or is it an RPO, or some kind of long caboose style brake car (it is labeled a "Freight Express Train" but I don't see any obvious brake car)?

Mudkip Orange

Considering the windows with bars on them, maybe it was used to transport prisoners during WWII?

You have to admit it does look suspiciously like the Jew-trains Hitler ran in 1942-45.

My guess would be high priority express freight shipments, or parcels to us Aussies and British, I don't see the post office symbol on any of the cars so I'd say they are not for mail, at least not officially. The last, partially hidden car does seem to have a passenger compartment so could have served as accommodation for the conductor/guard similar to the rider car on US mail trains.

It is a nice looking set, I wonder what era it is from?

According to the source above, these types were introduced in the fifties, as express freight cars.  In 1961 all express freight trains were re-categorized as ltd. express freights running at 85km/h and express freights at 75km/h.  Also at this time, the "kyuko" designation was applied to the sides, which remained until 1965.

As for the type of trains that used these cars, one example may have been the express freight "Hokkai-go", which started running in 1960 on a 72 hour service between the warehouse/market district of Soen in Sapporo city, and  Akihabara freight station (where Yodobashi Camera stands today).

qwertyaardvark

a brief scan of the Japanese wiki pages brings to light the following information

-the WAMU 90000 cars were in service roughly from 1953 to 1986

-I came across some information to suggest that some of the cars were used by (what i think is) "Koguchi" Express Freight: (it could be/probably is translated into "small package" express freight?)

ワキ1000(小口急行貨物用貨車。室内灯と貫通扉付き) = WAKI 1000 - Freight cars used by "Koguchi"/small package Express Freight. Came with interior lighting and sliding doors

ワムフ100(小口急行貨物用緩急車。室内灯と貫通扉付き) = WAMUFU 100- "In Case of Emergency" cars used by "Koguchi"/Small Package Express Freight. Came with interior lighting and sliding doors

Mudkip Orange

What is the meaning of the yellow stripe on the side?

I seem to recall reading elsewhere that it denotes some sort of speed restriction. What is this speed restriction?