Concrete or wood tie track?

Christopher_R

Christopher_R

Greetings people,

I'm planning to expand the trackage on my layout (along with adding scenery).

The layout theme is a generic Japanese countryside/rural area/forests with rolling stock (DMUs, EMUs, Diesel and Electric locomotives (for hauling freight) and a steam excursion train) from maybe from the year 2005 to present bracket, give or take.

I would like to know......which type would be suitable for the above theme: concrete or wooden ties? 

Maybe concrete for the 'main' lines and platforms and wooden for sidings and points? (A mix)?

Would like your input.....

Thanks in advance and best regards!

Edited by Christopher_R

Good choice. I'm doing one last project with Kato track and then switching to Peco code 80. I love how it looks. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Christopher_R said:

Maybe concrete for the 'main' lines and platforms and wooden for sidings and points? (A mix)?

I decided to do concrete (and composite/wooden points) for my double track main line and wooden for the rest.

I suggest you go to Youtube and search for "cab view Japan". Take a look at a bunch of videos and then you'll see what is approproate for the type of place you want to model.

Edited by MeTheSwede
  • Like 2
Christopher_R
5 hours ago, MeTheSwede said:

I decided to do concrete (and composite/wooden points) for my double track main line and wooden for the rest.

I suggest you go to Youtube and search for "cab view Japan". Take a look at a bunch of videos and then you'll see what is approproate for the type of place you want to model.

Hey @MeTheSwede,

Thanks for the tip on the videos on YouTube, will be doing that soon.

Also, like you mention in the first paragraph, it is the way I've decided to go......but then again, will watch movies for me to decide.

BTW, really like your picture of Tama the feline station master👍

Best regards,

Christopher.

Edited by Christopher_R
Christopher_R
5 hours ago, katoftw said:

If it is country side / rural only, wooden ties would be fine.

But if it has freight on it also, then concrete ties.

@katoftw thanks,

So, I guess have the main lines concrete with wooden tie points and sidings wood.

Thanks and best regards.

Gordon Werner

All wooden tie track is slowly being replaced by concrete ... even on rural lines ... as mentioned above, if you search for cab view japan you will get a good idea of what the conditions of the track are presently.

some channel suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNjavezafOqPSO1cYO9-XQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkig-eJWKj7lhuK2wfOZHXQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCcoOaBXTEgATFS3B6z3mAA

this channel will give you a great look at stations across japan (including the track)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMqdiRt4hYUfUaYvObo3rZg

• Like 1
On 2/21/2021 at 3:34 PM, Christopher_R said:

BTW, really like your picture of Tama the feline station master👍

Having cute and fury senior staff should be the main priority for any railroad. 😸

• Like 1

I just want to add for those who don't want to worry at all about the colour and material of their track, there's a simple trick:

Also road markings and even choice of the types of trains you run becomes much easier. 😆

• Haha 5
Christopher_R
On 2/23/2021 at 1:23 AM, MeTheSwede said:

Having cute and fury senior staff should be the main priority for any railroad. 😸

😊😊😊 Well, true, she saved the railroad that went thru the town she lived in😊😊😊

Best regards!