EF510

bill937ca

This is going to be an unusual comment to the thread but there is something else I've noticed about Japanese freight cars, no graffiti. I was in Upstate NY last week and passed a small freight yard and every car had some sort of graffiti on it.

This is going to be an unusual comment to the thread but there is something else I've noticed about Japanese freight cars, no graffiti. I was in Upstate NY last week and passed a small freight yard and every car had some sort of graffiti on it.

Graffiti "artists" very quickly end up in cold, dank Japanese prisons on 600 calories a day--that's why.

Graffiti "artists" very quickly end up in cold, dank Japanese prisons on 600 calories a day--that's why.

Which makes sense but what doesn't is that if you look at some of the graffiti that is done on some of the N. American freight cars, it has to take hours if not days to do that work.....no one notices this in a N. American freight yard?

Obviously the Japanese monitor their yards.

It's not that no one notices, it's just that they do not care. As a contrast look at that kid in Singapore who was caught tagging. He got a half a dozen lashes before being expiated back to Maryland.

Also, in America, freight yards and sidings are more often than not located in the less desirable parts of town.  Access is pretty easy, usually no fences.  In general in America the railroad is associated with dirt and noise ("blight") and low property values. Ever hear of the American phrase "being from the wrong side of the tracks"?- the railroad often serves as a boundary between the have and have-nots of society.  Contrast this with Japan, where (for example) living near a railway station is desirable and has a positive effect on real estate values.

The 'boss' would probably suggest I go and tag some Japanese rolling stock if that is the case (nope, just checked, there is no overweight smilie so make your own up!)