What are the posts in the middle of the track for?

Mudkip Orange

Is there a thin cord running between them?

A guess:

Safety markers for workers doing track maintenance - gives workers a visual reference as to where the space of the other (active) track begins, so they don't place equipment or stand too close and get clipped by a passing train.

A guess:

Safety markers for workers doing track maintenance - gives workers a visual reference as to where the space of the other (active) track begins, so they don't place equipment or stand too close and get clipped by a passing train.

Good guess. I've seen them in use but I can't track down any photos at the moment. I don't think they are in place permanently but just put in when maintenance work is planned to save blocking or placing excessive speed restrictions on the adjacent track. It would make an interesting scene on a layout, with some track workers waiting by the track to start work.

A guess:

Either that or snow stakes, but that wouldn't make sense. I believe they are guide markers. I've seen them with a safety line run between the poles, and workers keeping a hand hold on them while walking.