Doctor Yellow

bill937ca

Wow! The author manages to keep the rolling stock in the movie limited to only the Dr. Yellow and 700 series (apart from the 700N in the opening sequence). Spectaculair luck, or extreme planning/cooporation!

• Like 1

Wow! The author manages to keep the rolling stock in the movie limited to only the Dr. Yellow and 700 series (apart from the 700N in the opening sequence). Spectaculair luck, or extreme planning/cooporation!

I noticed that as well Toni, great video bill thanks for posting it. Someone needs to scrub the top of those car roofs tisk tisk tisk  :grin

I notice in the night scene at the end you can see the spotlight shining on the rear pantograph. I might have to add a white LED to mine.

alpineaustralia
I notice in the night scene at the end you can see the spotlight shining on the rear pantograph. I might have to add a white LED to mine.

I was thinking exactle the same thing but you would have to do it for each of the pantos that are followed by the camera car.

I was thinking exactle the same thing but you would have to do it for each of the pantos that are followed by the camera car.

After doing some more thinking it would also highlight the fact that I don't actually have any catenary.

Right, just did a bit of trawling with my friend on yahoo.co.jp and found this:

http://speedbird.mediacat-blog.jp/e37387.html

Doctor Yellow Timetable - (December 2009, I believe...)

Nozomi Inspection

[table]

DownStation NameUp

1147Tokyo1856

1153Shinagawa1849

1205Yokohama1837

1331Nagoya1712

1408Kyoto1634

1423ShinOsaka1620

1618ShinOsaka1226

1631ShinKobe1212

1705Okayama1138

1744Hiroshima1056

1835Kokura1006

1853Hakata0940

[/table]

Kodama Inspection

[table]

DownStation NameUp

1107Tokyo2026

1113Shinagawa2019

1125Yokohama2008

1349Nagoya1736

1421Kyoto1635

1500ShinOsaka1620

1725ShinOsaka1330

1739ShinKobe1316

1840Okayama1134

2010Hiroshima0953

2151Kokura0802

2209Hakata0744

[/table]

update:

This post from the same blog indicates when the yellows are to run in December on the above times.

Copied here for safe-keeping:

• Nozomi Inspection
    • Down
      • 7th December 2009
      • 16th December 2009
      • 25th December 2009

[*]Up

• 8th December 2009
      • 17th December 2009
      • 26th December 2009

[*]Kodama Inspection

• Down
      • 2nd December 2009

[*]Up

• 3rd December 2009

[*]Commissioning

• Down
      • 10th December 2009
      • 21st December 2009

[*]Up

• 13th December 2009
      • 22nd December 2009

Sorry to revive an old thread... but to keep this data alive (in case anyone searches for it):

The August 2010 dates are on the same blog at: http://speedbird.mediacat-blog.jp/e56262.html

And you can follow the timetable above for running times.

Meanwhile, When I was in Japan in December last year I did indeed see this train on Christmas day... flying past whilst I was parked in a Hikari at some country station :)

I'm itching for the September 2010 timetable... so if anyone sees it before me, then please post a link here.

off wiki

Doctor Yellow (ドクターイエロー) is the nickname for the high-speed test trains that are used on the Japanese Shinkansen ("Bullet Train") dedicated express passenger train routes. The trains have special equipment on board to monitor the condition of the track and overhead wire, including special instrumented bogies and observation blisters.[1]

Well, I'll be in Japan from the 6th of September to the 16th... and that is perfectly missing out on when the Doctor will be inspecting.

Westfalen, get on the tracks at these times!:

Doctor Yellow times for September

Nozomi

West: 4th, 19th, 28th

East: 5th, 20th, 29th

Kodama

West: 1st

East: 2nd

As per usual, see the 'expected' station timings here.

Done. Hamamatsu this evening.

post-218-13569925653641_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569925654052_thumb.jpg

I took these yesterday at at the stairs outside of Tamachi Station. I got there two hours to practice using manual focus. I was on the mid platform. After about an hour two railfans showed up but they moved up to the top. Later I went up to say "Please come down and don't let me keep them away," but they seemed settled in and I didn't speak up. Later another man showed up. He was more friendly and among things he said that he came up from Nagoya? (Or Osaka, I forget exactly which city) to shoot Dr. Yellow. He asked if I had shot them before and I said that this was the first time to shoot it like this. Of course, that was the intent as my Japanese is rather poor, so it was a very limited conversation. He said  that he's going to shoot it tomorrow near  Nagoya, lucky guy. After practice shooting a few regular Shinkansens, he went up to the top, though. I think that the reason people don't shoot from the lower platform is because people use the stairs and their heads sometimes pops up in your shots and the side of the stairs do too, when you pan.

If you shoot from Tamachi or closer to Tokyo, you get two opportunities as Dr. Yellow comes up from the Shinkansen Depot then comes back down from Tokyo. From here, the northeast bound tracks shots are better as a low fence slightly obscures the lower area of the cars on the southwest bound tracks. Of course, as you are next to the station overpass, you can't easily shoot trains coming from the south, so it kind of sneaked up on me.

Going to Tokyo.

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

But those poles, those pesky poles.

Best wishes,

Grant

Clearer shots than my early evening ones at Hamamatsu. We passed through Tokyo yesterday but not at the right time to see Dr Yellow. It's a bit like a railfan's Mt Fuji, in eight trips to Japan I've only got a clear shot of it once too.

From the 19th of this month. Taken at the spot in Oku ward.

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0742.jpg

DSC_0743.jpg

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0747.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

There was quite a crowd (at least 15 people) gathered to snap or watch Dr. Yellow pass. At least two ladies, one with a point and shoot camera, the other with a SLR. Notice the kid also has a camera in the trio in the foreground. Some old pros in the background.

Thought about trying tomorrow from one of the Yamanote Platforms, but the weather looks rotten.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 2

Thanks for those nice pics, gmat.  I wouldn't mind living in that brown colored apartment in the background, a top floor room would give you a nice view of the morning rush to accompany your breakfast flakes and orange juice...

As usual your photos are as good as being there in person if not better.

If you lived in that apartment you could rent space on the balcony to railfans on days Doctor Yellow goes by, you could charge them by the length of their lens. :grin

• Like 1

Looking at the site posted above, got this info. Thanks to the poster.

October times for Dr. Yellow.

Nozomi movements:

West: Oct. 8,17,26

East:  Oct. 9,18,27

Kodama movements:

West: Oct. 3

East:  Oct. 4

Got the info from here:

http://speedbird.mediacat-blog.jp/c2345.html

Expected times here:

http://speedbird.mediacat-blog.jp/e37387.html

The times are the same as before.