Shinkansen 700 or N700 Series : Tomix or Kato, which one to choose?

Jamy

Since you are in Europe you'll want to keep in mind the difference in power supply if you buy a Kato starter. There are European power bricks for the Kato throttle, or you could just use a generic power converter.

I'm fascinated by the all wheels power pick up of the TOMIX N700 Series. I'm thinking about ordering a set altough I already have 2 Sets of the Kato version.

I'm afraid that I order the old version (without all wheels power pick up) so it would be nice if someone could post the exact product codes of new version N700 from Tomix. Thank you!

Hezekiah Strawbody

I'm fascinated by the all wheels power pick up of the TOMIX N700 Series. I'm thinking about ordering a set altough I already have 2 Sets of the Kato version.

I'm afraid that I order the old version (without all wheels power pick up) so it would be nice if someone could post the exact product codes of new version N700 from Tomix. Thank you!

1. There is no 'old' version of the Tomix N700

2. It never came out without all-wheel pickup

3. so you can't go wrong ordering either variation.

Hello Bernard and thank you for your inquiry!

I've tryied 3 brand!! :)

A 700 series by kato, an Hikari 700 by tomix, and the 231-500 Yamanote by MicroAce!

To test all the 3 brands! :)

The 700 series by kato has a perfect motorization,  very smooth, the head and tail lights are very fine, but you can only run this shinkansen on a smooth light curves because you can't take a lot of angle with the boogie...

The Hikari 700 by Tomix is very fine too, the motorization is good ( but I prefer maybe the smooth noise of the Kato ), but I don't like the "orange" head light. But you can use it on a track with more angle.

I don't know if the 231-500 Yamanote by MicroAce is an old serie or not, but the motor is very noisy... like an old one :(

But I think the details, especially the bi-color of the windows (blue and transparent) are the more realistics and close from reality(Kato's windows are green (!!) and Tomix's windows are all white...).

So, I've ordered a Kato Starter set N700 (maybe I will take a Tomix later when I will have more money) ;)

I'm very happy on all points with the Kato concerning shinkansens so I've choosen this brand :)

Tomix is good.

MicroAce details are very good, But I don't like the like-old motorization...

Concerning the layout, I've choosen a DCC installation with a Minitrix Mobile Station, it's very smooth to use an very ergonomic, and for the layout, I wait for the N700 Starter that I've ordered to test the Kato Unitrack system to give my final opinion.

But prima facie, I think I will use Peco code 55 with a lot of flex track to make very smooth and long turns :)

I'm very happy with all of that and so happy to see the shinkansen run... what a pleasure...

Thank you all for your advices! :)

Today I finally received my TOMIX version of the N700. As I have a day off work I tried and tested it today. Well I have somewhat mixed feelings. The model is well made and even the car numbers are pre- applied. As with many Tomix sets it’s difficult to choose which sets to buy if you can’t have the 16car set. I choose around the following reasoning: I have yard space for a 12car set, I want some green cars and a second pantograph.

So I bought the 3car Basic set, the add-on set B (3cars of which 2 are green cars) and the add-on set C with an additional panto. This would give a 11car set which delivers my wishes.

When I ordered the add-on C set I had the thought: I hope Tomix can build 2 powered cars with the same speed…. We’ll my hope was unfounded. The powered car from the basic set is much faster than the powered car from the add-on set C. It’s not huge problem when train runs slow but at speed it’s terrible. So I have to remove one of the powered cars to get smooth running. Unfortunately the slower powered car from set C is the one with the pantograph. AAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I should have sticked with my Kato N700. No worries at all.

alpineaustralia

What I find interesting about the photo comparison above is the difference in the colour of the blue stripe and the difference in the detail on the grey section between the front and rear bogies.

I have owned both the Kato and Tomix N700 16 car trains and the Tomix wins hands down. the Kato N700 would barely make it around the jrm kato double viaduct loop w/o derailing (might make a few loops them bam or other times derail next lap)! we run just about every other shinkansen available on this loop and most run w/o incident, a few temperamental, but nothing anywhere near as bad as the Kato N700. also single motor car and a bit jerky.

in contrast the Tomix N700 runs like greased butter. with the all wheel pickup and two motor cars it runs very very smoothly. both motor cars run with similar speeds so no problem there with my set. wish all trains could have the power sharing and all wheel pickup! it would be wonderful if tomix would sell retrofit kits for their other trains with these trucks, would be fantastic.

so in my experience i would go with the tomix for the N700 and not touch the kato n700.

I have a kato 700 16 car train with two motor cars and that runs well.

cheers

jeff

cheers

jeff

Hezekiah Strawbody

What I find interesting about the photo comparison above is the difference in the colour of the blue stripe and the difference in the detail on the grey section between the front and rear bogies.

I think I have yet to find models of the SAME train from DIFFERENT manufacturers that are the exact same colour.

The difference in underbody detail would be because they are different car types.