Imperial Train questions

SL-san

I have a Microace A4721 set of carriages for the 1932 formation & Kato 10-418 set for the 1960 formation of the Imperial Train.  While I understand that Carriage #1 is the Imperial Carriage can anyone enlighten me on the likely occupants of carriages 461, 330, 340 & 460 as I want to put appropriate figures inside them.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SL-san said:

I have a Microace A4721 set of carriages for the 1932 formation & Kato 10-418 set for the 1960 formation of the Imperial Train.  While I understand that Carriage #1 is the Imperial Carriage can anyone enlighten me on the likely occupants of carriages 461, 330, 340 & 460 as I want to put appropriate figures inside them.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme

Generally serveants, security, chamberlains and other members of the royal family. Sometimes even the odd government official (mostly Prefectural Governors) will join.

If the emperor uses the train to travel to the Ise Shrine, one carriage is to be reserved solely for the "Three Sacred Tresaures".

• Thanks 1

Thanks Socimi...I hope you are safe and well in Northern Italy!

I had presumed that the Imperial entourage would be on board but was hoping I could get some idea of male & female disposition.  Presumably most would be male but the Empress & other female family members would have female attendants...but would they be allocated particular carriages?  I know its all a bit crazy trying to decide which 10mm figure should be seated where but in these times of isolation due to COVID-19 it helps fill in the time!!

Bill (in Melbourne)... I have a MicroAce C51-276 Summons Specified for the 1932 Imperial Train but I could also use my MicroAce C57-1 or MicroAce D51-893 (both Summons Specified) to represent running after 1937 or 1942 respectively.  Too many SL's are never enough!!!  Funnily enough my recent addiction to Japanese SL's came after purchasing C51-276 to use the mechanism to go under a Victorian Railways streamlined S class steam loco body.  The C51 model was so beautiful that I could not throw the body away and had to look for an alternative donor mechanism which in turn led me to Yahoo Japan...the rest is history.

Any further information on the disposition of males & females in the Imperial Trains would be greatly appreciated

Stay well,

Graeme 

• Like 1

Im posting this again because I dont think its best to make a new thread. 

I recently acquired a Micro-Ace imperial train set with a C59 SL. An amazing model indeed. 

However I feel that the C59 imperial Micro Ace has very bad traction, after examining the wheels are barely turning on their bogies. I've tried greasing the bogies a little with oil but they seem to still not be as free rolling. 

Any suggestions on what to do? 

IMG_20230930_123436.jpg

4 hours ago, AhmadKane said:

However I feel that the C59 imperial Micro Ace has very bad traction,

I have that same model...but don't have any problems with traction.  Have you screwed off the cover to the axles to see if there is any thing caught in the gears?  Sometimes dust, lint and oil coalesce into a sticky mass that inhibits movement.  Others here may have a more definitive answer.

Graeme

19 hours ago, AhmadKane said:

the wheels are barely turning on their bogies.

Do you mean the bogie wheels on the tender?  This Microace model has current collection on the tender bogies and current collection is made through a bar sitting on top of the wheels.  This means that the bogie wheels do not spin freely but should not inhibit movement too much.  Take the wheel sets out one by one and check that the pinpoints on the axles don't have any burrs or raised bits or gunk in the axle boxes.  If it is the leading pony truck bogie these should run freely...so again check if there is anything in the mounting that is inhibiting movement.  One other thing worth checking is that the wheels are in gauge...I found that the leading wheel set on the pony truck of my model was slightly out of gauge and this can lead to derailing especially at points (turnouts).

I hope you solve the problem as this is a great model to see at the head of a set of Imperial Train carriages!

Graeme

12 hours ago, SL-san said:

Do you mean the bogie wheels on the tender?  This Microace model has current collection on the tender bogies and current collection is made through a bar sitting on top of the wheels.  This means that the bogie wheels do not spin freely but should not inhibit movement too much.  Take the wheel sets out one by one and check that the pinpoints on the axles don't have any burrs or raised bits or gunk in the axle boxes.  If it is the leading pony truck bogie these should run freely...so again check if there is anything in the mounting that is inhibiting movement.  One other thing worth checking is that the wheels are in gauge...I found that the leading wheel set on the pony truck of my model was slightly out of gauge and this can lead to derailing especially at points (turnouts).

I hope you solve the problem as this is a great model to see at the head of a set of Imperial Train carriages!

Graeme

I meant the bogies in the carriages

Ahmad,

do you mean the passenger cars not in the locomotive, correct? Sorry everyone uses different terms in different parts of the world.

if it’s the passenger cars I would pop out the wheelsets and see if any gunk stuck in the ends of axles and bogie frame. Are there lighting pickups in the bogies? If so sometimes they can be stuck in a position to cause too much friction on the axles.

snap a picture of the bogies from the underside if you can.

jeff

14 hours ago, AhmadKane said:

I meant the bogies in the carriages

Hi Ahmad,

I also have a Microace Imperial carriage set A-4721.  The six wheel bogies on the carriages do not roll as freely as many other carriage sets.  This may be because of the current collection pickups for carriage lighting is pressing too heavily on the wheel sets. 

8 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I would pop out the wheelsets

I agree with Jeff that it would be good to pop out the wheel sets and check cleanliness and smoothness of axle points and axle boxes.  Sometimes exerting slight outward pressure on the plastic bogie frames can make the axles turn more freely when the wheel sets are put back in.  

Graeme 

12 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ahmad,

4 hours ago, SL-san said:

Hi Ahmad,

Hey you two. That sounds like a good suggestion. Havent considered the pickups to be too heavy on the wheels. 

Do you know how to open the carriages too? I have absolutely no idea how to open or take em out

Sorry I rarely remember the disassembly detail on most locos and cars until I have it in my hand and start poking at it. For me it’s always just fiddle to figure it out. Might check google there are some sites out there with disassembly photo instructions and at time youtube.

jeff

16 hours ago, AhmadKane said:

Do you know how to open the carriages too?

Hi again Ahmad

I attach some annotated photos that might help with disassembly.  I have not taken my interior seats and internal lights out (they are a bit fiddly) but could and take photos if you need me to.

Graeme

IMG_1162.jpeg

IMG_1165.jpeg

IMG_1164.jpeg

IMG_1161.jpeg

• Thanks 2
18 hours ago, AhmadKane said:

how to open the carriages

Attached is a photo that sort of shows the component bits of one of my carriages lit with a Tomix light bar.  I have also added seated figures...just because I could😁

IMG_1166.jpeg

• Like 1