What length of trains do you run on your layout/How big is your station?

David

Which best describes your station(s)  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes your station(s)

• Over 2.5m (16 car shinkansen)
    • Over 1.3m (8 car shinkansen or 10 car commuter)
    • Over 950mm (7 car commuter)
    • Over 675mm (5 car commuter or 4 car shinkansen)
    • Under 480mm (3 cars or fewer)

on the jrm layout we have a full 16 car shinkansen station. this ends up taking 3 meters to get the full station in with 2 full tracks and 2 passing tracks. its a lot of room, but very nice to pull full 16 car trains into!

cheers

jeff

Mudkip Orange

As I'm a commuter type of guy with only a passing interest in Shinkansen, 11 cars is the theoretical maximum I would design for given unlimited space and budget.

In practice, my longest train is 8 cars. That would change with different financial circumstances.

Interesting; I'm not sure exactly what we can fit, but I'll measure and see. Most of the Japanese stuff we're running right now is fairly short. I can get five or six Euro coaches at the longer platforms at the main stations.

CaptOblivious

As I'm a commuter type of guy with only a passing interest in Shinkansen, 11 cars is the theoretical maximum I would design for given unlimited space and budget.

In practice, my longest train is 8 cars. That would change with different financial circumstances.

Well, you might consider upping that to 15, to handle the 10+5 outer suburban types (e.g. E231-1000, E531) ;)

44 cars WOW  :icon_cyclops_ani:(that's also baseball great Hank Aaron's number)

What I really like is the super elevated curve the trains go around.  :icon_thumright:

Mudkip Orange

Well, you might consider upping that to 15, to handle the 10+5 outer suburban types (e.g. E231-1000, E531) ;)

Yeah, and I actually own a set of E531 Jobans... but for me, what I know is that if I bought the 5-car E531 to go with my 10, I'd just end up running them as two separate trains 90% of the time.

Truth is I'm pretty satisfied with 8. The only think that would cause me to rethink that is if I got the full Super View Odoriko, because the asymmetry of the train doesn't lend itself to consolidation.