Travel to Japan and coronavirus (Covid-19)

railsquid

Tony Galiani
On 3/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, railsquid said:

Do also remember it's not just about you and your individual risk, but also the public health risk of unwittingly becoming a carrier and helping spread it far and wide.

In other news I ventured out as far as Shinjuku for the first time in a couple of weeks (have been stuck at home fighting a mystery cold (!))  and things are quieter than is normal for a Friday night, but far from dead (the "deadest" I have ever seen Tokyo is the week after the 2011 earthquake). A lot of shops, restaurants etc. are however closing earlier than normal (but not like ridiculously early or anything). On the plus side, no tourist groups blocking the pavements.

Good point - thanks for the reminder.

I am still hoping to get to Japan this year but will be aware of both aspects - my risk and the risk to others - if/when I can get there.  And I still hope to fly one of ANA's A380s as I think that would be a great experience.

Regards,

Tony

As far as I know, ANA’s A380 are reserved for Narita–Hawaii service.

Also, beware, the effect of the virus on the airline industry will probably slightly outlast the pandemic itself. Similarly to what happened with SRAS and 9/11.

“S&P said that ‘IATA reports that traffic returned to pre-crisis levels nine months after the height of the SARS outbreak.’”

ANA might not keep the A380 flying if volume remains low. As an example, Lufthansa announced it was parking its 14 A380 and will use smaller, less capacious frames instead.

Edited by disturbman
Tony Galiani

Hawaii - Narita is my understanding as well.  Visit Hawaii then off to Japan on a great plane.  Narita Express to Shinjuku and we are at Mr. Donut before you know it!

Before the epidemic, it was my understanding that ANA was going to phase out all other aircraft on this route and just use the A380.  But I guess that may well change.

Tony Galiani

bikkuri bahn

I think the prudent course is to avoid all unnecessary travel to any foreign country (Japan or anywhere else), for at least the next two months or so.  Perhaps camping in your local state park or national park is a nice alternative😊

• Like 2
serotta1972
On 3/9/2020 at 7:23 AM, Tony Galiani said:

And I still hope to fly one of ANA's A380s as I think that would be a great experience.

I based my decision to fly Asiana to Japan last year on the aircraft used - SF to Korea: A350, Korea to Narita: A380.  The A350 was a beautiful aircraft and the A380 was a beast and seeing it up close at the gate was something else.

3 hours ago, bikkuri bahn said:

I think the prudent course is to avoid all unnecessary travel to any foreign country (Japan or anywhere else), for at least the next two months or so.  Perhaps camping in your local state park or national park is a nice alternative😊

Personally I plan to spend the next 6 months hibernating in a cocoon made out of hoarded toilet paper rolls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Lol good visual cortex worm planted there squid! I have a picture of a wall of toilet paper rolls across the closet with a few tentacle tips poking out and an eye ball looking out thru the rolls holes.

jeff

• Haha 2

Wait is the layout inside or outside the toilet paper wall? Or is the toilet paper wall under the layout?

jeff

They are far from universal, and not universally effective.

Looks like stocks are slowly flushing through the supply pipeline, here at my local supermarket at 10pm last night:

toilet-paper-2020-03-11a.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

What do those signs say squid?

"We regret to inform you that due to circumstances beyond our control there is a regrettable shortage of toilet paper and we therefore kindly request you to limit purchases to one pack per customer.  We thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding in this matter." Or words to that effect.

• Thanks 2

I am still puzzled as to why the rush for toilet papers... At least now I finally know why the people in Singapore were hoarding condoms and no they are not for their conventional usage.... 

On the other hand, I am very tempted by the discounts airlines like ANA, JAL and Singapore Airlines are giving out to travel to Japan... inclusive of a one-time change fee waiver for one to change the flight date and time shall one feel the need to... 

Well, I donned the hazmat suit this afternoon and ventured out into the centre of Tokyo for the first time since last week. Definitely even fewer people around than last week, the bus/train I take regularly around that time were noticeably empty - looks like people are avoiding non-essential journeys. The Chuo Line from Mitaka towards Tokyo was virtually empty - it's never exactly packed at that time, but normally one would be lucky to find a seat - today there were way more empty seats than passengers. Tokyo Station itself was busy but way less crowded than usual; no tourists to be seen at all. The trip back at prime commute time was crowded but certainly way less than usual. Not many people coughing or sneezing (surprisingly few bearing in mind it's pollen season).

• Like 1

Feeling adventurous (I have been cooped up at home more than usual for the last three weeks with a Mystery Respiratory Ailment which has hopefully more-or-less gone away) I ventured out to Shinjuku and Takadanobaba this evening, both of which seemed reasonably crowded and busy, albeit with a visible lack of tourists. Put me in mind of later in 2011, after the need for daily power consumption and radioactivity forecasts had receded into the theoretical. Trains are running with the windows slightly open and the ventilation on "full blow" presumably in an attempt to remove any nasty viruses, though as it's still might-be-cold season this may be uncomfortable for some people.

• Like 2
On 3/11/2020 at 1:43 AM, railsquid said:

Personally I plan to spend the next 6 months hibernating in a cocoon made out of hoarded toilet paper rolls.

You could put those rolls to better use and start making some subway tunnels!

• Like 1

Looks like the Japanese government will be requiring all travellers entering from Europe to undergo 14 days quarantine, and will be extending the regions where entry will be refused if non-residents have travelled there; official announcement will be on the 18th.

Source:  https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/ann?a=20200317-00000016-ann-pol

(I presume at this point anyone still planning international leisure travel anywhere in the next couple of months will be taking a very hard look at their plans).

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
On 3/17/2020 at 4:15 AM, railsquid said:

(I presume at this point anyone still planning international leisure travel anywhere in the next couple of months will be taking a very hard look at their plans).

This is the sad truth. Though our flights haven't been cancelled yet with Tokyo being the ONLY long distance destination still in service. But getting in or out of EU might be not possible. 

Well, and holidays in quarantine... Traveling doesn't make any sense anyways in these times and conditions. 

Now only question is, get the refunds or rebook to a later time (got the tickets cheap so this might be a good investment, maybe)? 

Nobody should go anywhere for the next two to three months. France is expecting peak epidemic to happen in 50 days from now if lockdown measures are respected. Europe will probably be in lockdown and Europeans not allowed to enter other countries for the next three or so months. China is still partially in lockdown after two months (iirc) of very effective confinement measures.

I don’t think it would be realistic to plan any leisure travel at least before 5 months from now. We will also have to see what long-term effects this crisis will have on airlines and the economy.

From what I have seen most airlines are planing a reduction of 90% (!!!) of their flying program for the coming month. Some, like Austrian airlines stopped or will stop to fly completely. I am currently in India with the support of an institution that is part of the German state and we had to rebook my flights to the end of this week instead of April 1st. People working at their travel office are expecting all flights to and from Europe to stop after this week.

I think I would just get the money back if I were you.

• Like 1

And to think I abandoned a work trip to northern Italy in February as I'd have been coming from the hotspot Japan...

On 3/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, railsquid said:

Looks like the Japanese government will be requiring all travellers entering from Europe to undergo 14 days quarantine, and will be extending the regions where entry will be refused if non-residents have travelled there; official announcement will be on the 18th.

Source:  https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/ann?a=20200317-00000016-ann-pol

Full list (taken from here😞

- all Schengen states

- Ireland, Andorra, Iran, UK, Egypt, Cyprus,  Croatia, San Marino, Vatican, Bulgaria, Rumania

Full ban on people coming from certain regions of Switzerland, Italy and Spain.

There's been at least one case of an infected traveller coming from the US, so I imagine the list will be extended in that direction at some point.