Tomix "C Type" Diesel

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

Does anyone have/know anything about the Tomix "C Type" Diesel?  Is this a decent model?  Is it prototypical of an actual locomotive?  These are fairly inexpensive models.. just wondering why that is..

TOMIX_Type_C_Locomotive_Orange.jpg

I've acquired a very old one recently.

The previous owner had popped out the center axle as it gives the unit more traction.

That said, it still slips and slides all over the place and does make a lot of noise. Would be good for small shunting operations on level ground.

The shell is actually plastic, although looking metal in the shots and real life.

NOTE: It's just occurred to me that I have the MicroAce model, and not the Tomix.

I've never seen that model before as a real 1/1 locomotive. The whole design looks like a shortened DD51 prototype (note the headlights) with the same cab size. Also, I don't think it's not a popular item any more as one sees less and less of them offered on the major selling points on the internets. Could be wrong, though I think one would nowadays rather go for a DE10, rather then a suspicious looking engine. :cheesy

I'm going to have to look around, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the information for this or a very similar (seems a bit bigger then I remember) prototype before - a railyard switcher. I'll try to post more later.

I can't find any prototypes of this engine... everyone seems to call it a 'dubious DD51'...

Here's an interesting page with mods to one though:

http://www31.tok2.com/home2/tetsudougazou/Nsyashin/Ctype.html

edit... Nearly, but not quite (scroll down a fair bit):

http://kd55-101.blog.hobidas.com/archives/category/2979.html

or the kd55:

http://kd55-101.blog.hobidas.com/archives/day/20081129.html

or this?:

7916253.jpg

It may be similar to the "Plymouth MDT" in more ways then one.

The Plymouth MDT is a 0-6-0 switcher from Bachmann. Rather then being based on an exact prototype it's a "representation" of the many (sometimes unique) industrial switchers built by the JD Fate companies plymouth locomotive works. The connection to the "Type C" comes in the fact that Kawai sells it's own "Type C Diesel" (they come in a pack with 2 freight cars depending on color). Unlike the Tomix version which uses a Japanese wheel configuration, the Kawai version is the Bachmann Plymouth with a different paint scheme (both probably come out of the same factory in China).

Since "C" would be used to designate a locomotive with 3 axels, the "Type C" may just be a generic description for any non-mass produced industrial switching engine.

Yeah, that 'not a real prototype' concept came to me as I looked through all the models and pictures...

Just like Kawai releasing this... A "Plymouth MDT" hey... sorta annoys me that they've reused an off-the-shelf product.

post-61-13569923374528_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569923374743_thumb.jpg

edit... Nearly, but not quite (scroll down a fair bit):

http://kd55-101.blog.hobidas.com/archives/category/2979.html

Dear lawd! I lol'd at the [AHO] sign.

Naw, there wasn't ever a C-type around, though there are several HTR-600 types around for very light switching and snow ploughing services: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/モーターカー (Motor Car). I believe MICROACE released a model of this engine in red, yellow and blue livery a few years ago.

That reminds me to buy a few DD13s... *whenever they get released again :sad:

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

Thanks for the info on this Tomix engine.  The look of it seemed a little goofy/off to me.. and I wasn't able to find anything on it.  Not that I'm the best at tracking down info on any Japanese train, even if it is real.  I was asking because one was on ebay for a fairly reasonable price ($20).. but got bid up to $30 so I threw in the towel.  At that price I'd rather spend a few extra $$ and buy a DE10 / DD51

As for Kawai - yes, they and Bachmann use the same little switcher.. I think I see why Kawai chose to use this.  I found this video over in the "prototype" folder under "freight operations"

kp-168.jpg

The Plymouth version sold by Bachmann is very inexpensive - I bought one for $21 when I was ordering some other things from ModelTrainStuff. It runs well once you break it in (I've been told this is due to whatever was used to blacken the wheels; you need to wear it off to get good contact). Can run reasonably slow, good pulling power for the size. Runs fine down to 11" curves, but at 9" the 0-6-0 design starts to push against the rails (it still runs, but there is an aweful grinding sound). It looks extremely cheap in pictures, but in real life its apart from the low amount of detail. You'll need to be able to cut or grind metal to convert to DCC (there is no room inside, you need to trim the frame).

hey hey,

Does anyone have/know anything about the Tomix "C Type" Diesel?  Is this a decent model?  Is it prototypical of an actual locomotive?  These are fairly inexpensive models.. just wondering why that is..

TOMIX_Type_C_Locomotive_Orange.jpg

Add buffers and it wouldn't look too out of place on a German layout.