badgeing??

Jimbo

I hate to start a new thread but couldn't find anything in search??   Started  doing the badges on my EF66, got them on but for the tiny ones,, lol I was doing name plates got the round one on no problem, did the decal last night, went to do the other one which is the oblong one??  no decal??  If I remember right  there should be one for that, but cant find it, I searched on line an yes they do make them, an no not at 25 bucks!! (Kato) I didn't look for TOMIX,, Well I just found some blue paint that matched an painted it, yes?no?  I know its correct but,, Pic later

The terminology with Japanese trains is usually "Number plates" for the EF66 ## board, "builder's plates" for the small rectangles that usually go on the side of the loco under the number plates, and "head mark" for the square or round image that goes on the front which is the train the locomotive is pulling.  

Looks like your loco came with an unpainted headmark for the Fuji express.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:JNR-EF66-53-for-Fuji.jpg

• Like 2

Folks, 

Head marks (Head Boards British) are very popular in Japan, even two car DMUs and EMUs can be seen carrying them.

Sometimes they are train names, sometimes they are put on for a special occasion, such as the fiftieth anniversary of a service.

Note also that the sleeping car trains all had illuminated tail boards built into the rear car ends, similarly, EMU and DMU Limited Expresses have built in illuminated 

head boards, and on some N scale models, these head boards are changeable by means of a slotted pin, accessible from below.

Of course, one can collect miniature replicas of headboards in vast numbers, see Hobby Search.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.

• Like 1

I cant believe how expensive these are!! anywhere from 25 bucks to over 50,, an then maybe they would get here on a slow boat!! ha! I guess I should check the one I put on the generator car  an match it duh never thought of that?????    Also after doing some on line search's I had no idea of just how many variation's that can be had, an used for the blue trains an for the EF66 aka newer style older style updated  oh my lol different paint combination's body style's, with or with out visors an on, Then I find out that they also used a EF81 (in red) to pull the blue trains!!   oh my head ha!( I have two EF81s)  I love this forum its taught me a lot!!

The should be no where near that expensive, especially if you are talking usd.

Kato have a pack for 1200 yen that have enough for 4 different trains.  1200 yen doesn't equal 25-50usd

I don't fit headboard unless it is for a specific joyfultrain like the SL Yamaguchi.

Jimbo,

Had a look at Hobby Search, Moriya Studio, their small replica head boards are Y1200 for a set of four.

Not sure what size these are, possible 1 1/4 inches in dia., but that's just a guess, or are they N scale size?.

Regards, 

Bill.

Melbourne.

At n gauge they are only like 4-5mm in diameter. I got a few on one of the HS scales to pop on some locos for fun. They are so tiny at any distance you really can’t tell what it is so you can easily fudge the headmark from the wrong train or event as well.

I experimented a long time back some very thin steel and I glued a printout of one of these to the steel at scale and then used a punch to punch out the headmark. The. Used a little 4mmx1mm magnet on the other side of the railing to hold it in place instead of gluing. I’ll see if I can find them, they are lurking in one of the loco boxes I think.

jeff

Folks,

Some elec loco models do have internal magnets at each end, to attach headboards, otherwise, a tiny blob of Blutak or similar can be used.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

• Like 1