Railway Topics Omnibus Movie--Japan first half 2009

bill937ca

That's an amazing find.  I am surprised that so many night train services got eliminated but I guess the service is becoming more as a non-essential services as Shinkansen, airplane and buses compete for time, lack of hassle and cost.

Cannot wait for the second half!

Plus a look back at 2008.

The omnibus movie of railway topics in Japan for the first half of 2008.

The omnibus movie of railway topics in Japan for the second half of 2008.

Nick_Burman

In the second half of 2008, which railcar line (the on with the cream and red cars) seems to have gone belly-up?

Cheers NB

In the second half of 2008, which railcar line (the on with the cream and red cars) seems to have gone belly-up?

Cheers NB

I think it might the Izukyu Corporation which is owned by the Tokyu Corporation. It looks like ex-JR stock.  There is some through operation with JR on the Izukyu.  Its probably an equipment retirement, which many of these events are.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10050932

Nick_Burman

Thanks Bill, but it wasn't the Izukyu...it was a diesel car line. There were two such lines in that tape,

one I identified as the Miki Railway (gone because the locals preferred to ride the neighboring Kobe Electric Railway), I didn't manage to identify the other - big diesel cars, "custard" and red. And very rural.

Cheers NB

bikkuri bahn

I believe it's the second railcar line in the first half 2008 video, right?  That would be the Shimabara Railway in Nagasaki Prefecture. The units are ex-JNR kiha 20 units.  The video was coverage of the partial abandonment of the line (the last 34.2 km) between Chichibugaura and Kazusa.

*the problem with these omnibus reviews is that I always get feelings of regret of not seeing some of these lines/trains before they disappeared.  The final days of the 8000 series on the Toyoko Line I especially regret not seeing- I grew up with these units, and always liked the sound of their chopper controlled traction motors under acceleration.  At least their sister 8500's are still running on the Den'en Toshi Line.