Railway Day Events

bill937ca

Unfortunately poor quality video of the E5 on display at the Niigata open day yesterday.  Disappointingly, it was just a line-up with other types with most of the train inside the shed, apparently the public was not allowed any closer views.

What is railway day?  How did it come about?  First day of railway traffic in Japan?

It celebrates the opening of the first railway in Japan, between Shimbashi and Yokohama on Oct. 14, 1872.

This is from July 2009, but its more what most of you would like to see. Same type of event, but during the summer holidays.

A demonstration of Shinkansen N700 series being lifted and held up at the Hamamatsu Workshop.

Wow! I can't believe all the railfans that are allowed in the workshop.

Not just railfans, but the general public, families and children. 

Amtrak has days like this too at the Wilmington shops, where they let you in the trains that are on the service tables. That was always pretty neat. WMATA (DC Metro) use to as well till the lawyers put a stop to it.

This is from July 2009, but its more what most of you would like to see. Same type of event, but during the summer holidays.

A demonstration of Shinkansen N700 series being lifted and held up at the Hamamatsu Workshop.

Yes, I went to that event.  May have actually been at that actual demonstration (can't be sure, there were two sessions- I witnessed the pm session).  A good workshop open day, though the crowds and heat (30 degrees C plus) were not pleasant.  I also went to the Sendai Depot event the previous day- a bit better, IMO- slightly cooler, smaller crowds, and more technical demonstrations.  The bogie assembly demo there was especially interesting.