Mazda Bongo Motorcar?

Bernard

I was doing a search for a motor and by accident I found this, the Mazda Bongo Motorcar.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10088726

I haven't found any other information on it, does anybody know anything about this model?

Apparently it's a model of a motorcar used in the early 70's on the Toyama Shinrin Railway (forestry railway) in southern Nagano Prefecture.  It was used to transport workers for a dam construction, among other things.

Here's a picture of the prototype:

http://pleiades.la.coocan.jp/toyama/toyama5.html#bongo

Model manufacturer's description (Aoshima- often makes quirky models like this):

http://www.aoshima-bk.co.jp/kokuchi/cara_n/index.htm

I've seen more examples of these kind of hybrids. On some local private and 3rd sector lines more modern versions of these are in use as inspection cars. An example can be seen at ±8:10 in this movie of the now closed Arita RR:

*also not the interesting, I think, KIHA58-003 (Dual cab version of the KIHA58) on the right in the depot.

He is a cute little guy, got him a few weeks ago on pre-order, he was just tooo cute. i go for these odd little ones. it uses the little caremel mechanism. putts along well, but hard to get to go really slow...

cheers

jeff

He is a cute little guy, got him a few weeks ago on pre-order, he was just tooo cute. i go for these odd little ones. it uses the little caremel mechanism. putts along well, but hard to get to go really slow...

cheers

jeff

Jeff - What is a "caremel mechanism"? 

cheers

jeff

Jeff - What is a "caremel mechanism"? 

It's a mabuchi type motor mounted upright on a truck, allowing very compact rolling stock.  It's named "caramel" after the square pieces of caramel sold in kiosks and other stores, being roughly about the same size:

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/prohobby/photo/c9/cand01_m1.jpg

introductory video:

http://www.prohobby.sakura.ne.jp/photo/c9/c9prm.wmv

Yep thats it. simple little mechanism.

you can buy just the mechanism if you want to power your own scratch built MOW car or greenmax mow car.

not much in the way of gearing though so its a zipper! unfortunately little room in most of these to try and drop the voltage with a bridge rectifier or easily tear into them to isolate the motor to do this.

the bongo is cute, you look at it and just have to ask what the heck is that, almost like a little UFO!

cheers

jeff

Jeff - Do you ever run it at the Exhibitions and if so what is the reaction?

Also I couldn't find the Greenmax version at Hobby Search.

And last, do you mind posting a photo of yours?

Looking at the price about $50.00 USD, does the kit include the motor?

If not do you know which motor it takes? (trying to figure out the total cost w/shipping)

Bernard,

yes it includes the motor and details. the hobbyworld preorder was $40! gotta love their preorder prices!

ill snap some picts of it today and maybe a video.

the mechanism is about $25.

yes that is the greenmax mow kit listed below i have (also have the econcomy 804 that also gives you an engine shed/workshop). it seems to scale and from just fiddling with the mechanism and the parts (have not assembled it yet) i think it will work, but it looks to be very tight on the dimensions in the cab and maybe a tad short. the biggest rub is that the greenmax mow car is a center cab and this one is offset to one end which means you have to chop off the back platform. this puts you right back to something that a lot like the little pro hobby engine that uses this mechanism. i am now thinking of just doing the green max as a static display on a side track, maybe a bit on the used side and figuring out something newer to do for the more modern mow equipment. i love mow equipment and would love to have the time to try and scratch build/kitbash more of it!

cheers

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

I have finally had the chance to view that video. What an interesting looking line! The track plan for the terminus station, with its small shed and freight yard is eminently modellable.

The railcar is very similar to something already in the Dreyfus fleet, perhaps something else to think about whilst formulating ideas!  :grin

post-141-13569923328926_thumb.jpeg

The railcar is very similar to something already in the Dreyfus fleet, perhaps something else to think about whilst formulating ideas!  :grin

It is exactly the same railbus. The Arita RR used to have one of these next to their regular dual-cab KIHA 58 (001~003) motor cars.

This railbus, the LE-CarII (Light Economy Car) was built by Fuji Heavy Industries to provide a cheap means of transport for 3rd sector lines to keep their balance in range. For some companies the introduction of this little fellow was a saviour, but for others, like the Arita RR, it wasn't helping much unfortunately. http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/LE-Car

I'm sure Pacers aren't as bad as these:

fs_nambu.jpg

The Nambu Juukan RR KIHA101 and 102...

Maybe some of us have already read it in the latest Bullet-In from the JRS, but allow me to quote:

"The kiha 101 and 102 are the only examples of their class to have been built. They can operate as a pair but this necessitates two drivers. They were built like a country bus with an Isuzu engine. They weigh only 9.6 tons and are not very comfortable. There are two driving positions, with very primitive controls (four gauges, unsynchronised gearbox, pedal coupling, cable hand-operated accelerator). Folding doors are hand operated, seats are longitudinal, and only one axle is driven." (J.R.S. Bullet-In, Spring 2009, P. 13; Binamé, Eric)

Ah yes, the Nambu Jukan railcars.  I had a chance to ride one of them back around 1995 or thereabouts.  Quite rough riders, probably would make the "nodding donkeys" (pacers) seem like Cadillacs in comparison!