kevsmiththai

Some more pics.

large.IMG_2348edit.jpg.5a161f43a6daf23c94afaaa4127a614f.jpg

large.IMG_2338edit.jpg.0633e092f0c34a0295704fc727a43fd0.jpg

large.IMG_2324edit.jpg.7c03de83ac1882e18a5fd9a083f6cd3a.jpg

The show is now a week away and I'm starting to get a little panicky! I'm on leave next week so need to do the lighting rig and fascia board and once they are done knock up a flightcase to take the supports, the lighting unit and the three bolt on boards.

After the last show of the last season my trusty rolling toolbox finally gave up the ghost and started to disintegrate. I think it was mainly plastic fatigue so to the tip it went, a veteran of about sixty shows in total so it didn't owe me anything. So I started to look for a replacement a couple of weeks ago and blow me the exact same thing is still for sale on the internet, just moulded in yellow rather than red. it is just the right size to stand behind the passenger seat in the X-trail with the seat pulled forward. Once I've put all the stuff in it I'll post a pic.

Tomorrow is going to be more testing as I suspect I've got a couple of things fouling the railheads as you can see the wagons kick a bit when they go over. The 3D brass Deki 500 is also jerking a bit and it looks as if the steps are catching the Marklin point motors so I'm going to shorten them a bit and run it at the show unpainted jst to show people what you can get these days. Hopefully the Corona virus isn't going to impact the exhibition (fingers crossed) but me and the lads will be going to go into Macclesfield in the evenings to some of the many real ale pubs in the town to get some pints of 'Medicine'!

Kev

• Like 3

kevsmiththai

Like most countries in the world the U.K is in the grip of the Corona virus panic. It was touch and go whether the Macclesfield show would go ahead but following a statement by the Prime Minister and a risk assessment by the organisers and the school it was decided at Five O'clock the day before that we were good to go.

One trade stand did not turn up but otherwise we were all there. Setting up the layout was easy and the hard work ofr getting the second flight case completed paid off as getting everything into the hall was really quick. It holds the scenic extension boards, Control panel and contoller, Lighting rig and some of the mans leads. it has two wheels at one end and a handle at the other end and you just pull it along one handed.

large.993615743_hakuhodebut3..jpg.c39ff902860bd94be2e236d233d9ec3b.jpg

As I was going to do some extensive testing I took all my Z scale Japanese stock which meant three stock boxes, two of the wooden ones and one of the alumnium ones

large.1905637797_hakuhodebut6.jpg.d6b082b80e716ecc6db30a35fe4b468a.jpg

During the show these sit on the flight case the baseboard transports in which when empty acts as the stock table

The new rolling toolbox looks very bright!

large.628536914_hakuhodebut5..jpg.aca05ed7f21f2897e7c8de312640ceed.jpg

Kev

• Like 1

kevsmiththai

So not everything got completed. Ang did not have time to hem up the curtains so I had to resort to using thumb tacks to hold them up. They will have Velcro patches stitched on to them for future shows.

large.346624694_hakuhodebut4..jpg.3006f57f65dd05f6b83581a503d57641.jpg

The layout sits on two folding steel trestles which are quite heavy but very stable and the lighting rig cantilevers off the back of the layout to give the public an uninterrupted view

large.2045838303_hakuhodebut1.jpg.80fdf862ad67a3151180aab6bb3d294f.jpg

once set up on Friday afternoon a quick test showed all the sections were working and the track was given a good clean. One of the DD51s was then tried over every section. Saturday was going to be the real test and i decided to do the shakedown tests with the diesels and electrics and introuduce the steam locos on Sunday. The container train, a mix of Rukuhan and PRM Loco KOKIs ran perfectly on the outer track and I had one of the Hokutosei DD51s and its matching coaches on the inner track in one siding and the KIHA 52 in the other. So the public saw them first. on the outer track the middle siding had the DE10 and a rake of coal hoppers, These kept uncoupling at the same piece of track and running my finger along the railhead revealed a lump under the bridge which turned out to be a solder track feed joint sticking up. Some quick work with a needle file before we opened on Sunday sorted that after which the hoppers ran around quite happliy behinf the C57 4-6-2 all day.

The third siding on the outer track has the C11 2-6-4T and a couple of Tenshodo coaches  and this little train ran perfectly . The coaches seemed to curb some of the waggle the loco has when running by itself.

large.975779842_hakuhodebut2.jpg.fc0a8520e2e48b3571f603a6d3a54244.jpg

There are still a couple of issues to resolve. The D51 2-8-2s seem to keep derailing their leading trucks on the Marklin points and I think they are fouling somewhere and I'll do what I did when I had a similar problem on Shasta. Film them with the HD camcoder and then watch it in slow motion to find the problem!

Video part 6 of the layout in action at

• Like 4

kevsmiththai

The show did have a drop in attendance compared to previous years obviously but was still quite well attended. There was another Japanese layout there in N scale called Hironocho displayed by a member of the Japanese railway society

large.IMG_2455edit.jpg.a4d67d50ac01c7697d896a003b63960d.jpg

Sadly it looks as if all future shows have bitten the dust for now. I was supposed to have Republic Steel at Sheffield and Maryport shows but both of these are off. The big shows London, York and Bristol etc are all looking very vulnerable as well as these have thousands of visitors.

I'll keep you posted

I'd sent the article  and pictures about the layout to Contintal modeller magazine and they have snapped it up so expect to see it in there soon

next thing will be to get the scenery at the back further on so I'll keep updating this thread as I go along

Kev

• Like 2

kevsmiththai

Just heard the the big Quorn show at the Great Central railway in June has now bit the dust. 

Seems a good time to getting round to finishing my 1nM C56 that I started in 2007!

gauge 1 running on 0 gauge track it is one of the C56s taken to Thailand to run on the SRT. It has the modified cab roof applied to many of the Thai C56s.Constrcuted in Nickel Silver, steel and brass with cast iron wheels turned from castings

large.2072429187_SRTC562-6-0.jpg.c8263a75a58ede52719285c421362e5d.jpg

I'll start a seperate thread on it once I get stuck in

Kev

• Like 3

Sheffie

Nice work! I’m glad it all went so well. 

It seems strange watching all the familiar Japanese containers and having to remind myself that they’re Z gauge. 

• Like 1

MichiK

Thank you for the nice video, Kevin! Very enjoyable, though the look of a C57 towing SeKis is a bit strange. Yet, utterly understandable, when the D51s are on strike...

Your C56 is a beauty, too!