kevsmiththai

LOL the joy of doing shows! Love those spooky bits, always leave you scratching your head, but I don’t think we ever had a fire alarm go off though…

you are a good grandpop Kevin.

cheers

jeff

safely back in the workshop I decided to get the remaining photographs done for the article I'm going to submit to CM nagazine shortly.Itmade sense when everything was in the stockboxes

It was going to need a photo extension board at the rear to give me some foreground to work with to help frame the pictures

large.1496176129_Photoextensionboardedit.jpg.54b9a9ff5d0b75fa73a97b3c554f7a42.jpg

It uses the same bolt holes the lighting rig does and connects to the end extension bords. Despite appearances, it is not painted gloss, It is a mix of PVA glue and readymix Burnt Umber water based paint and was still wet when i took the photo

With the greenery on. The Hokutosei is heading fror Sapporo with two DD51s in charge as a DD51 with the container train has been waiting for the Kiha 42 to clear the section. Looking at the cars parked roadside the museum must be busy

large.616190003_Hakuhophotosession3edit.jpg.fd269ad5970d40913c1316d504887187.jpg

Rows of redundant box vans are lined up in the sidings as the C57 heads past wit a steam excursion. In the museum all three D51s are out as the railking shunts the old 4-4-0

large.465263213_Hakuhophotosession2edit.jpg.b0187eedbd8f4e06643bb0048c9eea46.jpg

The DE 10 runs past with a short rake of Taki 1000s as the D51 runs past on a mixed freight photo charter, The C57 waits to leave with the excursion train. The museums newly acquired EF 66 sits outside the shed

large.2082262094_Hakuhophotosession1edit.jpg.f6fdb6945d039df7ea00acbd4afa709a.jpg

With Hakuho town in the background two tanker trains stand in the sidings as a ballast regulator trundles past

large.1177719858_HakuhotownJunction.jpg.3dd46b72f65c014b4a5976f2b4dbafc0.jpg

Kev

• Like 8

Looks like it will be in July issue of Continental Modeller magazine to tie in with its appearance at the Stainmore Railway's Kirkby Stephen East show

Always an interesting place to exhibit when you have this opposite the layout

large.382604348_NER2-4-0atKirkbyStephenEast.jpg.09656ac46ad4506153ce20e38a57ae59.jpg

Kev

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, kevsmiththai said:

Looks like it will be in July issue of Continental Modeller magazine to tie in with its appearance at the Stainmore Railway's Kirkby Stephen East show

Wahoo!

Nice to see actual Japanese people like seeing foreigners model their railways (especially when done well). The number of times I've had wokey people with no connection to Japan whatsoever tell me it's 'cultural appropriation' and a moral crime for me to make models of Japanese subjects............

• Sad 1
On 4/18/2023 at 5:41 AM, Beaver said:

The number of times I've had wokey people with no connection to Japan whatsoever tell me it's 'cultural appropriation' and a moral crime for me to make models of Japanese subjects............

Yikes, sorry to hear that! Not had anyone say that here in the US, but maybe they are just not saying it! how to take things to the extreme! They might speak to execs at JR East who loved our layouts here in the US and gave us Japanese train sets. The local Japanese cultural groups also love us. We have had some Japanese people tear up seeing the layouts as they said it felt like home and they were amazed we would do something like this and be interested in Japanese scenes and trains. One older lady was very moved (in tears) when we were in grand central terminal for japan week as she said she had not been home for 30 years and some of the scenes brought back so many memories to her (one of the best experiences ever). No one with Japanese heritage has said anything but very positive and thankful things about our displays and promoting Japanese train modeling, japanese trains, and japan in general.

The only negative comments we have were from folks prejudiced against japan (or foreign anything in general), almost exclusively from older guys. Fortunately that has pretty much died off (figurative and literally) over the last decade. It was a bit of a problem a couple of decades ago at one of the local clubs I tried to join and do a Japanese themed ntrak module and the governing powers were not happy with the idea. Fortunately that regime was later swept aside and next president of the club had actually visited japan and ended up building 3 Japanese themed ntrak modules.

jeff

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Beaver said:

The number of times I've had wokey people with no connection to Japan whatsoever tell me it's 'cultural appropriation' and a moral crime for me to make models of Japanese subjects.

How many? Because these are idiots who don't understand what cultural appropriation actually means.

21 hours ago, Beaver said:

Nice to see actual Japanese people like seeing foreigners model their railways (especially when done well). The number of times I've had wokey people with no connection to Japan whatsoever tell me it's 'cultural appropriation' and a moral crime for me to make models of Japanese subjects............

In Germany, I have already experienced such a way of thinking. Something like this is reported again and again in public or in the news. But if you then listen to or read the comments about it, you realize that the majority have no problem with it. It seems to be an phenomenon that gets too much attention.

• Sad 1

Yes, sadly many never think it through and have no understanding of cultural appropriation. I think many of folks like this probably have had little contact with other cultures themselves. No grasp of bringing another culture into theirs that would probably not happen unless someone displays something like this. This thinking leads to they stick to theirs and we stick to ours mentality.

jeff

• Like 2
kevsmiththai

On a lighter note ...

Confirmation has come through that Hakuho will be appearing at the prestigious Manchester Model Railway Exhibition in December this year. This is one of the 'big six' shows in the U.K with thousands of visitors and the closest one to Christmas. It will almost certainly result in a lot more show invites for next year and the year after.

So we go from the smallest type of show, Kirkby Stephen, in June to a mega show at Christmas this year

At Carnforth last weekend we ran the layout as is, giving the public the chance to come around the back to see the new SL Hakuho section. I had a new DE10 to run and did  some test runs of it fitted with one of my magnetic couplings fitted at one end pulling some of the excursion stock (Converted JR 485 coaches) also fitted wih Neodynium magnets. Separate thread to follow

• Like 1

So.....Manchester..Hmmm

Great show, busy with keen model rail fans who know their stuff and appreciate the work that has gone into Hakuho. The guy who was at it's debut at Macclesfield just before the Pandemic is still a massive Sumo fan and when Brooklyn told him that our 'Port Shaughty' layout was going to be called 'Kirishima (Kiribyama)' I thought he was going to faint!

large.HakuhobeforetheManchestershowopens.jpg.0e4b32c58dda34e8881a068c9c6617d3.jpg

We were in an barriered off part of the hall, in an island, all by ourselves. Getting an electrical supply to us was a bit problematic.

Below is a view of the sceniced rear as seen as at a show. The visitors could see it 360 degrees as a result of our position

large.HakuhoattheManchesterXmasshow.jpg.2fb817a2dcc176e3ffd6818337f8f03a.jpg

The stockboxes were far enough away from the public to avoid problems

large.SomeHakuhostockboxes.jpg.4af3246ac43f3c83a73c465616c8584d.jpg

Brooklyn sets the stock up on Sunday morning before the public come in

large.BroklynsetsthestockuponSundaymorningbeforetheshowopens.jpg.5fef155ab3f50c507d4a4555f647242b.jpg

So, The show was great but The City of Manchester itself was a nightmare. We set off from Cumbria at 16.30 on the Friday and having fought our way through Nightmare traffic for the 94 miles route we arrived at 19.40 totally frazelled!. All we could do was get into the hall and set it up very basically. When we set of to the hotel which was just down the A34 it took us an hour to get from the City Centre to Cheadle. When we got to the hotel the restaurant was shut and I ended taking Brooklyn to a Macdonalds so the poor little lad had something to eat.

But we overcame those issues and had a great weekend when we looked back

Kev

• Like 6