What Engine goes with these cars?

Bernard

I think you can use any engine you like, at least as long as it's a realistic engine (so not a DE10 or something like that :) ). There weren't special liveries made for this train, but it ran mostly in the Kansai area according to the Tomix catalogue.

Bill - Thanks for the links! So according to the links I could use a EF58, EF65, DD51 or C57 (I have this steam engine but very had to install a decoder.)

But as Toni said I could use pretty much anything. I do have a Tomix ED76, would that work in the configuration?

But as Toni said I could use pretty much anything. I do have a Tomix ED76, would that work in the configuration?

Well, if you pretend the Saloncar Naniwa on a trip through Kyuusyuu or Hokkaidou this would be most likely, but then an EF81 would be more realistic, but still a bit strange... EDIT: oh wait. Not so strange: http://www.railway-enjoy.net/topics/assets_c/2009/06/081231.saloncar-naniwa.01-thumb-400x300-404.jpg

IMO a 'Rainbow' Livery or a brown 'Butou No.2' EF65 would fit best. Maybe you can even try that butt-ugly EF65-123 'You-You Salon Okayama' Livery, but that wouldn't be fit for any train... : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/JRWest_EL_EF65123.jpg

The Euroliners are JR Central's, so that wouldn't be fit either. The Saloncar Naniwa is namely a JR West operated train (as of 1987).

Well, if it were me, I'd slap a C62 on there just because I could  :laugh:

I do like Bill's photo of the Steam engine attached with the cars. I see the C62 is also made by MicroAce I wonder if it's DCC friendly?

Claude_Dreyfus

Ah, that's what I have been doing wrong for all these years!

The Naniwa set was the first Japanese train I obtained. In my extreme ignorance I bought a Tomix EF81 in Twilight green and yellow livery to haul it! It is a very nice train, and in my defence think the green and yellow on the locomotive matches the carriages very nicely.

Martijn Meerts

I do like Bill's photo of the Steam engine attached with the cars. I see the C62 is also made by MicroAce I wonder if it's DCC friendly?

None of them are, but they sure look good =)

None of them are, but they sure look good =)

Marti - Off hand do you know if the Tomix ED76 is decoder friendly? My first impulse is no it isn't.

post-22-13569923309601_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

None of the Tomix ones are "DCC Friendly", as in, you can't just plug in a decoder and be done with it.

Most of the square-ish locomotives, such as the ED76, have the entire shell filled with the frame. This is great, because it adds extra weight. But of course, there's usually very little room for a decoder.

The lighting boards will also need to be adjusted most likely, and of course you have to problem with soldering wires to the frame for the rail pickup contacts on the decoder.

It's not impossible of course, but I wouldn't call it "DCC Friendly" =)

It's not impossible of course, but I wouldn't call it "DCC Friendly" =)

For lack of a better term how about "DCC Impartial". (Which really means, You might be able to do it but is it really worth all that effort? :grin)

Martijn Meerts

Well, if your entire layout is DCC operated, it's going to be worth the effort of course, otherwise you can't really use the locomotive.

That said, after I get settled in back in the Netherlands, I might be able to help people out with decoder installs and such, as long as they'll agree I can't take full responsibility and give like 1 year warranty on installs ;)

Almost done with my Tomix EF81 DCC installation; it's doable but requires a steady hand with the Dremel, and a lot of patience :D

http://akihabara.artificial-science.org/2009/05/tomix-ef81-dcc-pt-1-disassembly-and-frame-milling/

Don - As always a nice explanation of installing a decoder in a EF81. It is very similar to the ED76 but there might even be less room where one light board will be replaced. I think I'm going to wait till you finish your install to see how it goes. Please keep me posted.

Martijn Meerts

I managed to install a decoder into an EF65 and EF510 without milling the frame at all. I cut out a piece of plastic from the shell, right underneath the little grey/silver "boxes" on the roof.

(Pretty sure there's an actual term for those, but I haven't a clue whether they are airco boxes or just general machinery =))

Claude_Dreyfus

Further to my earlier post, I've managed to dig out the Naniwa set. As I said, I think the Twilight EF81 suits this set quite well...

post-141-13569923377339_thumb.jpg

Further to my earlier post, I've managed to dig out the Naniwa set. As I said, I think the Twilight EF81 suits this set quite well...

Claude - That does go together nicely. I have an ED76 by Tomix that doesn't go well with the set. Why? Because I need to convert it to DCC and there is very little room for a decoder. Is the EF81 by Kato?

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude - That does go together nicely. I have an ED76 by Tomix that doesn't go well with the set. Why? Because I need to convert it to DCC and there is very little room for a decoder. Is the EF81 by Kato?

No, this is the Tomix version. I'm not sure if you need to add a chip to at least the final carriage due to the tail lights...I'm afraid I am not too well up on DCC and how this works...