Stephenson's Rocket in N Scale - and other tiny trains

gavino200

Another n scale Stephenson's Rocket scratchbuild.

https://www.deviantart.com/jd-ripper

This guy has made a variety of n scale early steam scratchbuilds. Many are really quite nice.

https://www.deviantart.com/jd-ripper

Looks like he's using 3D printed shells from shapeways. So, not quite scratchbuilt. But it could be a fun starting point. 

Edit: looks like this shapeways site is his.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/newman-miniatures

Edited by gavino200
  • Thanks 1

Here's an old-style American 4-4-0 in N scale next to a Pocket Line Kato loco.

Pretty small.

1016181156.jpg

And a Pocket Line coach next to a Civil War Era (1860s) conductor's car.

1016181200.jpg

The wheel base on the trucks is smaller than the gauge of the track. One of these days I'll get more of these cars and make an actual train instead of a shelf display...

Edited by GDorsett
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Here's an old-style American 4-4-0 in N scale next to a Pocket Line Kato loco.

Pretty small.

And a Pocket Line coach next to a Civil War Era (1860s) conductor's car.

The wheel base on the trucks is smaller than the gauge of the track. One of these days I'll get more of these cars and make an actual train instead of a shelf display...

I've always liked that little Jupiter loco. It's a Bachmann, right? I was going to buy one years ago but I didn't for two reasons. One reason was that I wend DCC and wasn't too confident about putting a decoder in it. I could probably do that now, but I'm also setting up a DC track, so I wouldn't have to convert it.

The other reason is that I had mediocre experience with Bachmann locos. They often look great but don't run so well. What's your experience with how this little beauty runs? Can it handle an incline with a few cars?

This one I purchased for about six dollars as a "it might run, but I don't know if it has all the pieces" thing. Turns out it did have all it's pieces, but reassembling the trucks on the tender was...mildly difficult. Those wheels are TINY.

As for running, all I did was reassemble and drop it on about a decimetre of track to see if it ran. With some lube and exercise, I think it'll run well, but it hasn't gotten the TLC it needs.

As for it being a Bachmann, well, we'll just have to wait and see. My other Bachmann steamer (a Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation) runs fairly well, but needs a LOT of power.

49 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

As for it being a Bachmann, well, we'll just have to wait and see. My other Bachmann steamer (a Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation) runs fairly well, but needs a LOT of power.

That's interesting. My only Bachmann n scale is a Spectrum J Class. I haven't given it any special DCC settings but it runs surprisingly slow. A pity, because it's a beauty. Maybe I'll try playing with the CVs.

This Consolidation is not DCC, although it claims that's it's DCC ready. Knowing Bachmann HO, I expect their not-very-friendly boards to be present in their N as well. Haven't taken it apart to see, however, so I could be wrong.

All I know is that it takes about the same amount of power to run as two Tomix models and it runs with a slight growl (like Blue Box Athearn) and has that old electronic and brass smell, you know? The kind that vintage Lionel has, but smaller and in a model that actually looks nice.

• Like 1
Davo Dentetsu
On 8/21/2018 at 7:03 AM, gavino200 said:

I saw this video first about a year ago. I was hoping to find one that I could buy. This is a one-of-a-kind made by hand by an amateur. I've been obsessed by it ever since. I have practically zero modeling skills now, but I want to work steadily on my skills (hobby for life, I think), so that by retirement age, maybe I could attempt something like this.

Anyone know of any similar, really tiny N scale locos?

Oh hello?  That's Kevin Bradney.  He's featured in quite a few of my own YouTube videos.  I'll let him know you've had a look see.  :)

4 hours ago, Azumanga Davo said:

Oh hello?  That's Kevin Bradney.  He's featured in quite a few of my own YouTube videos.  I'll let him know you've had a look see.  🙂

Awesome. I checked out your YouTube site. LOTs of videos. Well worth a look. There's a lot there that I can learn from. I didn't see the Kevin Bradney videos. Can you show me a link? I'd love to see more of his work, or any detail on how he made the Rocket. 

Small world 🙂