Jump to content

Japanese Wooden Building Exterior Question


Recommended Posts

Is there a name for the type of “siding” used in traditional Japanese wooden houses that looks like horizontal clapboard but with vertical slats added to it?


Here is an example of what I am talking about https://get.pxhere.com/photo/architecture-structure-wood-house-window-roof-home-wall-high-ancient-facade-exterior-design-japanese-5d-style-hires-markii-traditional-hi-res-resolution-ibaraki-sakuragawa-makabe-siding-daylighting-outdoor-structure-514842.jpg





Edited by nickhp
Link to comment


Those horizontal boards, which we call weather boards, are only nailed to the vertical studs along their top edges.

In very high typhoon winds, the winds could get under the lower edges of the boards and pull them off.

The outside vertical strips would prevent this happening.

That's only a guess on my part!





Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...