Hot new track plans from KATO

Mudkip Orange

Interesting plans and I like the fact that Kato is updating their track plans unlike Atlas.

A major problem with the Atlas track plans from their book is that a lot of the radius are too tight for the new models.

John P Boogerd

I wish I could find a layout plan with the Diotown road plates and Kato track plates (I think they make matching double track plates or am I wrong).

Not sure if you guys had an issue with visualizing mm like I did but here a quick way to reference mm to feet. 

Reference is key for visual and mental interpretation. We in the US reference by the foot which is either 12 or 24 inch floor tiles or 1 yard. I got sick and

tire of that puzzling look when seeing metric measurements Like the layout examples wondering if I could use it, I wanted instant visualization. 

So here is one way to reference it. A single 1 foot floor tile is 12 inches or 305mm. 24 inch floor tile is 610 and a yard is 915. 

This means that we (U.S.) have a factor of 3 in order to get a visual reference on ft to mm conversion.

If we see 2100mm we can divide by 3 to get a ball park number which is 7. The actual footage is 6.89.

The quick way to the foot conversion is to multiply the 3 hundred value (305mm in a foot) by the footage you have in mind and then again by the ones value of 5 in 305mm.

Here is the example 5  feet

5(ft) X 3 (taken from the 3 hundreds position 305)  = 15 the first half of the number  then 5 (ft) X 5 the second half = 25

5 feet = 1525mm

try it again example 11 feet

11 X 3 = 33    then 11 X 5 = 55 so the mm to feet conversion for 11 feet is 3355.

Some may not have a problem with this but these who do (Like me) here is a quick metal reference. 

Inobu

A single 1 foot floor tile is 12 inches or 305mm. 24 inch floor tile is 610 and a yard is 915.  

This means that we (U.S.) have a factor of 3 in order to get a visual reference on ft to mm conversion.

If we see 2100mm we can divide by 3 to get a ball park number which is 7. The actual footage is 6.89.

The quick way to the foot conversion is to multiply the 3 hundred value (305mm in a foot) by the footage you have in mind and then again by the ones value of 5 in 305mm.

Here is the example 5  feet

5(ft) X 3 (taken from the 3 hundreds position 305)  = 15 the first half of the number  then 5 (ft) X 5 the second half = 25

5 feet = 1525mm

try it again example 11 feet

11 X 3 = 33    then 11 X 5 = 55 so the mm to feet conversion for 11 feet is 3355.

Some may not have a problem with this but these who do (Like me) here is a quick metal reference.  

Inobu

Or you can use an on-line calculator.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

http://www.metric-conversions.org/cgi-bin/util/convert.cgi

I know there are the converters but I rather just look at the numbers and have an idea of what I was looking at without going to a web site to reference the dimension

I'm thinking the guys in Europe don't use those web site why should I? Lol

Inobu

Mudkip Orange

It's not too hard to wrap your head around the concept of the "metric foot." 300mm=12 inches. 100mm=4 inches. 50mm=2 inches. Etc, etc.

Also not too hard to remember 25.4 if you want to do exact conversions.

It's not too hard to wrap your head around the concept of the "metric foot." 300mm=12 inches. 100mm=4 inches. 50mm=2 inches. Etc, etc.

Also not too hard to remember 25.4 if you want to do exact conversions.

Learning a measurement involves two factors. The value and a reference in which one associates that value.

Without using a calculator which would be the ideal weight for a woman. 50Kg or 110lb. If you know the measurement and its reference then the answer is instantaneous. If not, you have to convert the weight to a scale in which you can reference and then reason the answer.

The funny thing about that question is everyone has a puzzling look but for different reasons. One scrambling and wondering what the answer is and the other knowing that there is no difference in the value.  50kg is 110 lbs

Did not mean for this to go off on a tangent but just a pointer to enable people to know which track layout is good for them at a glance and how to do it.

Inobu

Mudkip Orange

The skinniest girl I ever dated was 125lb and that was a bit on the thin side.

Mudkip prefers thick-framed Germans/eastern Europeans in the 160-180 range.

The skinniest girl I ever dated was 125lb and that was a bit on the thin side.

Mudkip prefers thick-framed Germans/eastern Europeans in the 160-180 range.

That just because you like to play rough,  :laugh:

You tickle me

Inobu