Play Track for Unitrack -new from Kato

to2leo

Hi everybody,

This might be exciting and unexpected news.  In Kato Japan's Japanese page

http://www.katomodels.com/index.shtml,

I was both surprised and excited to see Kato is finally launching a track software of its

own.

In partnership with Tesumu, http://www.tetsumu.jp/explain.html

The software seems like it is subscription based at a very affordable price.

It also seems like there will be a free trial period for those who are interested.

I know some of our members are great at finding more information, I wonder if you

guys can show us the light!?!  :cheesy

pt_gamen.jpg

Its about frigging time Kato came out with their own layout planning software. Personally Im not too happy about the subscription based software Id rather own a copy. I looks like the software will be easy to update, that's great news with the Unitram stuff coming out.

Heres a translated version of the site

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tetsumu.jp%2Fexplain.html&sl=ja&tl=en&history_state0=

Yes that looks good but there seems to be a disconnect somewhere. Access to the program cost $20 USD, a usage fee of $3 USD per month. That does seem too much until you start counting. $56 USD the first year and $36 USD per year there after.  ??? The question is how often will I use the program and does it make sense/cents for me to do it.  I ONLY run Kato products nothing else (test other products but run only Kato). Of all people to question it, I am. It does not sit right with me. 

I like the fact that I can play around with new ideas and get a shopping list, but for me that pay for it doesn't seem right. It's not like I can use the program to create a layout and then go out and buy Atlas track to set it up.

If I were Kato I would use this program as a marketing tool. Set it up on their website. Give users account access and see what people are doing. In essence divers their marketing budget to this program and see what it yields. Connect product browsing to the program and try to boost sales with it.

After all Kato's is in the business of selling Trains and train layout components not layout programming. Enhancing the customer ability to spend money and make them enjoy doing it is key.

Google and Ebay are so successful because they give people visual access to a multitude of products and services at the same time making the purchase process a point and click endeavor.

I would love to have their catalog to see all the items they have to offer but I wont pay for it.

We will have to see how it pans out.

Inobu

Martijn Meerts

Layout planning software in general is quite nice, because it's easy to get a good idea of what's possible within the restricted space you have available. Of course, there's no reason to use Kato's or Tomix's software and get a limited library of track work, unless Kato or Tomix added some incredibly cool features.

Yikes, I did not know the price is so steep now that you mentioned it.  Hmm, I hope the program comes with some virtual Kato train models to run and test them!  By the way, are there any VRM members here?

Mudkip Orange

Considering that I already shelled out several hundred dollars for AutoCAD (three years ago), and that I already have the entire Kato/Tomix/Atlas libraries in DXF form, even $3 a month is a dealbreaker for me.

Sad they did this as having a simple track planning program that was just for doing unitrak would have been a very very good marketing tool! i am always sending folks who what to start fiddlling with unitrak planning to xtrakcad, but thats kind of throwing a newbie to the wolves as it can be quite frustrating to get started with. programs like railmodeler (mac only) are cheap and much easier to use but cost some.

most of the track planning programs out there are real swiss army knives that will do most everything along with run trains on your virtual lines! problem is a newbie just needs to clip some track together simply to figure out what they might want to do for their first little layout and figure out what track they will need to buy. a stripped down unitrak only program would be perfect for this.

i expect a third party developer approached kato and is the one thats trying to make money on the venture, does not sound like the think kato would invest a lot of money on...

cheers

jeff

Mudkip Orange

Another thing to keep in mind is that when Atlas first released the Right Track Software, you had to buy it (I remember paying for a 3.5" disk back in the 90's), but for the last few years it's been free.

Kato may go the same route eventually.