Railway Anime

Guest ___

bikkuri bahn

Not a series, but the animated opening credits for the TV drama "Densha Otoko"- notable for its use of old JNR types (including the 103 series- hail! :headbang:)

As many anime fans know, the above was made as a tribute to the Daicon 4 opening animated trailer, made by the founders of the legendary Gainax studio(starts with the earlier Daicon 3 trailer):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGo041te08&feature=related

*truly one of the milestones in anime and otaku history... (apologies if these videos have been posted before)

Not a series, but the animated opening credits for the TV drama "Densha Otoko"- notable for its use of old JNR types (including the 103 series- hail! :headbang:)

As many anime fans know, the above was made as a tribute to the Daicon 4 opening animated trailer, made by the founders of the legendary Gainax studio(starts with the earlier Daicon 3 trailer):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGo041te08&feature=related

*truly one of the milestones in anime and otaku history... (apologies if these videos have been posted before)

Actually due t the popularity of the Densha Otoko OP sequence, they did make two seasons of mina, but there's no trains in it.

Another side note, in the movie, the manga, as well as the original 2ch transcripts, Pretty Cure was Densha's fandom, Mina was created by Gainax for the TV drama only.

Watching that youtube video is giving me a headache  :confused5:

I wonder what happened to the passengers when the trains are transformed?  Did I see a TGV there too?

The grin displayed by that Thomas transformer toy is faintly distressing. You just feel that a giant fighting robot shouldn't smile like that...

I see there are Thomas, James and Percy look-a-like.  I wouldn't mind getting one! 

So what do the heads do? 

Spit at you with hot steam and uses their coal as fireballs?  Britt and Treehouse would love that  :cheesy

In the first video it looks like the two boys are following the route of an abandoned railway.

How often are trains in western cartoons drawn so accurately and with such attention to detail? They even got the colour of Hankyu's seats right.

In the first video it looks like the two boys are following the route of an abandoned railway.

Yes - they are tracing the route of Tokyu's Tamagawa trolley line (today replaced by an underground Tokyu railway line), of which today's Setagaya line was a branch and is a remnant.

It's just a lovely piece of animation, the detail is astonishing. How can one lay one's hands on it?

Cheers NB

A slightly longer bit of "Colourful":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=v9TbcagZ2iQ

The elder boy is definitively a "densha otaku". They meet at Tokyu's Futago-Tamagawaen subway station, then walk tracing the route of one of the Tamaden's branches. The idea of working B&W pictures of the Tamagawa line into the animation is super. And the last bit shows how the line looked like in the 50's-60's.

Definitively an anime for Tokyu fans....

Cheers NB

An anime trailer with a few seconds of the Ueda Kotsu:

How many Western animations are that railroad-specific when setting their scenario??

Cheers NB

An anime trailer with a few seconds of the Ueda Kotsu:

How many Western animations are that railroad-specific when setting their scenario??

Cheers NB

That's from the movie "summer wars". 

There are many anime series that have got Japanese trains in them:

Kimi Kiss Pure Rogue (looks like a series 2000 Seibu)

Clannad After Story (a country line)

Full Metal Panic (on their way to a Military games, during their summer holidays) also in the Opening credits have a rail bridge.

and there is many more I can provide more Anime Series if you would like. :)