700 Series Shinkansen Service Runs

Shinkansenrailfan

Shinkansenrailfan

Just curious, does the 700 series still operate on Nozomi Services on the Sanyo Shinkansen (if there are actually Shin-Osaka - Hakata Nozomi Services)?

I know for a fact that about a month back, they have stopped any 700 Series Nozomi or Hikari runs on the Tokaido Shinkansen (except for 2 Hikari Services operated by JR West). Not sure if it applies to the Sanyo Shinkansen too.

Sacto1985

I wonder has both JR Central and JR West gotten enough of the new N700A trainsets or refurbished N700 trainsets so they could demote the original 700 trainsets to Kodama service only?

JR 500系

According to this webpage, http://www.tabi-o-ji.com/go/sche/result/?q=UE1iXaOgI

There is only but one Nozomi service using the 700 series from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima, the Nozomi 155 departing Shin-Osaka at 9:48. This train starts from Tokyo though, so technically it is not a Sanyo only Nozomi service....

The other 700 series are the 8-car sets, which is the Hikari Rail Star sets running the Kodama services.

I cant find any other Nozomi services starting from Shin-Osaka though, most start from Tokyo or Shinagawa...  700 series as Nozomi is rare too, even Hikari services are running less...

• Like 2

Huh, so have all the 16 car 700 series been retired/split up then?  Glad I got to see one when I had the chance. 

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

700 series are used on Nozomi services only as rinji services, not regularly scheduled (i.e. daily) runs- in the case of the Sanyo Shinkansen, when a service disruption occurs, a 700 series trainset on standby may be put on a rinji Nozomi run.

*Nozomi #155 (an irregular service) is now exclusively N700 stock:

http://ekikara.jp/newdata/detail/2701011/24547.htm

Huh, so have all the 16 car 700 series been retired/split up then?  Glad I got to see one when I had the chance.

That would mean that the 700 series would be completely withdrawn from all services on the Tokaido Shinkansen, as only 16-car formations are used on that line. I've still seen plenty of 700s running along the Tokaido Shinkansen last year, but I don't know how things are since the March timetable revision.

• Like 2