Stone Viaduct (as in Tokyo)

Parts of the Chuo line and Yamanote lines in Tokyo operate on stone viaducts dating back to the WWI era.

gard-shinkohashi.jpg

tokyo-17.jpg

You will find modern viaducts in both Kato's and Tomix's product line, but not the timeless stone viaducts.

I was looking for a Noch landscape product today and found out that Noch offers a product very similar to these viaducts.

The parts are referred to as arcades or retaining walls by Noch.  (A viaduct is a separate bridge like product in the Noch catalog.)

diorama%20mauern_005.jpg

steinmauer0019.jpg

I find the timeless stone retaining walls and arcades a great compliment to the modern JR rolling stock.  These walls could also create a border between scenes on a layout.

The Noch arcade walls and retaining walls are available in North America from several dealers.

Euro Model Trains  http://www.euromodeltrains.com/cgi-bin/home.pl

Euro Rail Hobbies & More http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/default.asp

Bill - the first 2 photos explain a lot to me about a viaduct stores I bought last year on a whim from Greenmax. I was wondering where they are in Japan. The modeling photo got me by surprise I thought at first that was the Kamone instead of the ICE running on the viaduct. So at some point in time, the Japanese used to use bricks to build structures and then stopped?

Bill - the first 2 photos explain a lot to me about a viaduct stores I bought last year on a whim from Greenmax. I was wondering where they are in Japan. The modeling photo got me by surprise I thought at first that was the Kamone instead of the ICE running on the viaduct. So at some point in time, the Japanese used to use bricks to build structures and then stopped?

The earliest Japanese railways were built by English engineers hence brick and stone viaducts.  Over time earthquakes have made masonry construction less popular.

The modeling photo got me by surprise I thought at first that was the Kamone instead of the ICE running on the viaduct.

That's not even an ICE, it looks like somekind of regional DMU to me.

Mudkip Orange

Faller and Vollmer has them as well, so there's lots of choice if it comes to looks.

You should also consider Hornby's "Lyddle End" line, because...

The earliest Japanese railways were built by English engineers hence brick and stone viaducts.  Over time earthquakes have made masonry construction less popular.

http://hornby.com/brands/lyddle-end/products/

There's no arched viaduct, but the brick retaining walls and concrete overcrossing are a dead ringer for early Japanese practice.