2 engineers on 2 coupled EMU's

hans-diesel

Hello all,

I found this video on youtube:

From 1:40 you can see an engineer taking place in the second EMU and later both EMU's drive away together.

I have never seen this (I was never in Japan).

Do you know of more examples of operating 2 EMU's in this way?

Thanks in advance, Hans

• Like 1

There is usually only a single driver for each train. The conductor is riding at the back cab and handles the door controls and departure sounds/announcements where they are not automated. Conductorless, driver only trains are called wanman.

It is the Chosi Electric Railway, a very primitive operation.  Were these ex-Tokyo subway cars wired for MU operation?

Translating the original You Tube page get you "line special train "coordinated operation No. 3"."  Searching for this in Google  brings up this web page among others.

http://ameblo.jp/kenichi-0801/entry-12091575501.html

From that web page:

"Broadly speaking, it includes including a driver's step on a power car that can not control (collective) control, and performing speed control individually by a method such as signaling with a whistle. (From Wikipedia) <a I = 91> Since this train was originally intended for single-drive use and is not intended to run with two connected cars, if two train cars are to be connected and run, a rider will ride in each car , not when each perform a driving operation it is a rare system is now become. "

Are the Chosi Electric cars wired for MU operation?

Another video:

There appears to be a crew of three: non-driving operator first car, guard (back of first car) and operator driving in the second car.  Remember this is a commemorative operation on the retirement of these cars.  Events like this probably bring more cash than regular operations.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

These are Choshi Electric Railway DeHa 1001 & 1002, converted from former TRTA Ginza and Maronouchi line trains.

They were converted to narrow gauge and one-man single car operation, fitted with driving cabs on both ends. The connection doors are welded shut and they probably lost their multi-unit control at that point as well.

However they were still used in pair for special events, such as the one seen in the video. It's DeHa 1002's last day of service.

Edit: whups~ Guess, bill beat me to it.

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

These are actually third-hands from Hitachi Railway who converted them to narrow gauge and catenary operation. At Hitachi they used to run in pairs, as well as single cars (Mc-Tc formations as well), but the sale to Choshi probably had their electronics even more simplified.

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

but the sale to Choshi probably had their electronics even more simplified.

Easily noticeable by the removal of the MU pins in the couplers...

Cheers NB

• Like 1