Stuck Tomix case

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

So, I tried to get my at Tomix DE10 last night, but found that the lid to the clear plastic case had stuck fast! I had noticed before that it was a bit of a snug fit. I can't get the thing to budge even the slightest. Anyone here have suggestions for opening it back up?

warm it up with a hairdryer on one end....warm air expands....but not to much!

Yeah, everything warmed up expands and I'm guessing that is the problem here. It's summer and the plastic expanded until it got stuck. I would be more for a cool it down option.

CaptOblivious

Is it even slightly off? jam it down flat again, rinse and repeat.

It's not even slightly off. There isn't quite room to jam my tiny jewler's screwdrivers between the case and lid (and doing so just seems to mar the plastic, rather than budge the lid).

I might try the hairdryer bit tonight. I'm not sure how to cool off the bottom part only, Disturbman, but good thought…

Maybe if you put the whole thing in your fridge and wait a while, the time for it to be cooled down. If it was openable before it might still be. There is no reason for it to stay stuck.

Try first the hairdryer to see if it works.

CaptOblivious

Maybe if you put the whole thing in your fridge and wait a while, the time for it to be cooled down. If it was openable before it might still be. There is no reason for it to stay stuck.

Funny, that very thought occurred to me this morning. Sounds easier, I think I will try it first.

Or but one half in hotter water... :grin

I actually thought seriously about using some cooking oil, until I realized that the paper liner would soak it up and be ruined :(

It sounds like your case is in a vacuum state. That means the more you pull on it, the more it sucks it self shut. You have to break that vacuum or allow air to enter into the case.

You may have to tweak the case so it can draw in the air breaking the vacuum.

Inobu

It sounds like your case is in a vacuum state. That means the more you pull on it, the more it sucks it self shut. You have to break that vacuum or allow air to enter into the case.

You may have to tweak the case so it can draw in the air breaking the vacuum.

Inobu

And when you finally do open it.  Make sure to add a tape or ribbon in it so that you won't get that vacuum issue again.

CaptOblivious

None of it worked :(

It wasn't a vacuum. I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom; when I blew into it, I could hear air escaping from elsewhere. Still wouldn't budge. Tried heating or cooling it; it only gave the case stress fractures. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I must have somehow mixed up the lids of two cases that had ever so slightly different dimensions, and the lid was just a hair too small. It was just locked on really tight! I had to cut the case open, and extract the DE10 and foam and put them into a spare case I had lying around.

Thanks for the help though! Sad it didn't work out, but since I have spare cases, it's not too big a deal.

With one hand firmly grasp the back of the case. With the other hand firmly grasp the edge of a table. With a single blow, use all your strength and slam the TOMIX case down on to the table. If done correctly, case will shatter, and you will be able to access your TOMIX.  :cheesy