Flickering LEDs for scenery

just wanted to post a link to a short article i put up on the jrm website about how to make a flickering light cheap using battery powered LED votive candles you can buy at craft and dollar stores. fun, simple, and cheap to play with. had the content laying around and finally got around to putting it all up.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/flickeringleds.html

cheers

jeff

Great idea and as you said Jeff, simple. I haven't run into these units though but I will keep my eye open at the Dollar Store.

Try AC Moore or Michaels craft stores, they have the better ones for the flicker. i am in danger of getting turned over to the cops in those stores (and the dollar store at times) walking the isles with a sort of unfixed gaze trying to just look at things on the shelves that may be interesting to use with the trains! others probably think im mental or stealing something. I lived in Bekeley too long a i would never be noticed there with that behavior...

cheers

jeff

alpineaustralia

What a brilliant idea.

I saw one exhibition in which flickering lighhts were used behind opaque glass indoors to simulate a rave party in a warehouse. Good find.

Try AC Moore or Michaels craft stores, they have the better ones for the flicker. i am in danger of getting turned over to the cops in those stores (and the dollar store at times) walking the isles with a sort of unfixed gaze trying to just look at things on the shelves that may be interesting to use with the trains! others probably think im mental or stealing something. I lived in Bekeley too long a i would never be noticed there with that behavior...

cheers

jeff

You're not the only one like that!

I love AC Moore I just wished they carried a better assortment of airbrush paints, they have more paints for manicures.

What a brilliant idea.

I saw one exhibition in which flickering lighhts were used behind opaque glass indoors to simulate a rave party in a warehouse. Good find.

LOL LOL LOL! what a great idea! that and a little mp3 player under the table with a tiny subwoofer pumping out only the low beats very quietly! wonderful! only i dont know if japan is into warehouse raves? anyone know?

cheers

jeff

cheers

jeff

You're not the only one like that!

I love AC Moore I just wished they carried a better assortment of airbrush paints, they have more paints for manicures.

LOL i do see a few other chaps that look like they are doing what im doing, but always too timid to ask. I get the oddest looks when in the wedding isles looking at various wire ribbons, tules, etc that might make fences, walls, building details etc. usually only women in those isles and i do get some odd looks!

yes ac moore does have pretty bad selection of airbrush paints. they use to have a good selection of airbrushes at ours and with the 40-50% off coupon was the way to get a great deal! not a great selection any more at our local one.

cheers

jeff