Simple water

I've spent a long time looking at how to get the water into the layout. I'm *not* cutting the baseboard. So, I need a thin water layer and some walling to go round it.

I bought some 'realistic water' and had a play last night on a piece of plasticard. It's a bit messy, and has a very very smooth finish. Didn't convince me that this is watery at all.

So, I looked at alternatives (bernard's prior thread was useful for research!). I've come up with :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3MM-BLUE-TINT-ACRYLIC-PERSPEX-250MM-X-250MM-PLASTIC_W0QQitemZ360147567470QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item53da77c36e&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Blue tint, so paint the bottom with greeny/grey and it might look acceptable. It's 3mm thick, so with some low walling around it (like the first entry on this page :)

http://www.howardscenicsupplies.co.uk/walling.html

It might be ok. Hardly exhibition level, but then that's not the aim here. I spent hours looking for a solid, low concrete wall in N, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Cen.

I haven't played with it as I am sorta bit fan of Magic Water as that's what we used on the museum layout.  I want to start working on the rice field now, and have been following the thread on here I started as well as the one of the Japanese train groups on yahoo. As a result, haven't decided on the water to use.

CaptOblivious

Those walls are a very interesting…reminds me of wargaming terrain.

Have you looked at Greenmax's stuff? I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that they have a lot of retaining walls.

But really, you could easily make a concrete wall out of card stock or styrene, with some spackling compound to texture it. Then paint it a dark grey, and drybrush it a light grey. I've done this for wargaming before, and it looks passably good.