"Tokyo" by Train

TheNicofabi

So i subscribed to this youtube Channel which basically does alot about Japan and the guy basically went out and traveled with Trains in this one, i guess some of you would enjoy watching it even thou its nothing special.

• Like 11

Pretty nice.

It's like one of those days when you don't know what to do. Just get on a train and go anywhere.

I did that two or three times in Japan.

• Like 1

I can see it be way more possible there aswell... The fact that you can go wherever with that card... I mean my Student ID lets me travel through a bit of Germany but it just wouldnt feel the same i'd say...

Quite a few railway companies have day tickets available, so you can just hop on a train and go anywhere the ticket allows you to. Maybe it's a nice idea to start a topic with information about this, as I'm a big fan of these :)

• Like 2

Quite a few railway companies have day tickets available, so you can just hop on a train and go anywhere the ticket allows you to. Maybe it's a nice idea to start a topic with information about this, as I'm a big fan of these :)

I believe day passes are only limited to ONE transit system. If you're going to riding multiple private railways in Tokyo plus local JR East lines, you'd probably be better off with a Pasmo card.

• Like 1

I believe day passes are only limited to ONE transit system. If you're going to riding multiple private railways in Tokyo plus local JR East lines, you'd probably be better off with a Pasmo card.

Ooh, you don't know the deeper secrets of Japanese railway networks. ;)

• Like 2

I think the guy was using a Pasmo or a Suica card, since he is also buying drinks using the same card, and calculating the total amount spent on trains/ drinks etc.

• Like 1

The opening shot shows him entering a station using a smart card.

Some (most? all?) private lines do a combined fare-to-Tokyo + Tokyo Metro (and/or?) Toei ticket; combine that with a JR East day pass would probably be the best bet if you are changing between systems a lot, as that would soon add up... If money is tight you could always do a "see how far you can get without leaving a station" challenge by utilising the barrier-free interchanges between systems.

• Like 1

If money is tight you could always do a "see how far you can get without leaving a station" challenge by utilising the barrier-free interchanges between systems.

One of the fun little adventures that are possible on a weekend when there's nothing else to do (rare that may be if you live in Tokyo...).  It's helped by the fact that there are so many amenities within the ticket barriers, including shops, restaurants, cafes, etc, and most importantly, all the stations have easily accessible toilets, which is something quite rare in many systems in other countries.

• Like 1

One of the fun little adventures that are possible on a weekend when there's nothing else to do (rare that may be if you live in Tokyo...).

Did that in my student days a lot...

It's helped by the fact that there are so many amenities within the ticket barriers, including shops, restaurants, cafes, etc, and most importantly, all the stations have easily accessible toilets, which is something quite rare in many systems in other countries.

Not quite all - off the top of my head I can think of Takadanobaba on the Tokyo Metro Tozai line has the toilets *outside* the ticket gates. But overall there's excellent coverage, including "multi-purpose" toilets (with a small child in tow one comes to appreciate these), and they even have toilet paper these days. Outside the transport system I reckon Japan is hard-to-beat too, at least in urban areas, even if it's just a portaloo-style cubicle in a playground...

• Like 1