Multi-era trains

velotrain

Earlier today I came across this photograph showing a steam train departing - an excursion, based on all of the spectators, just as a 0 series Shinkansen is passing, with what looks like a commuter train on another track, with a freight yard in the background.

gallery_941_192_281463.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like the former Shiodome goods terminal, with the picture taken from a location south of Shinbashi Station. The commuter train would be the Yamanote Line heading towards Tokyo Station.

I think this was the last official steam train out of Tokyo.

Cheers NB

That would certainly explain the packed train, with arms waving out of every window, and all the folks standing on the freight yards lead tracks.

You have to wonder if the departure was timed to coincide with the Shinkansen arrival?

Wonder what the crew were doing hanging on the front of the locomotive.

They're not the operational engine crew, as from their gestures they're clearly trying to keep the crowds back, and it looks like there's more guys in the cab with a similar role.

I think this may be the same run, lots of people lining the tracks.  

Here's part of the translation of the top text on the linked page:

1972 (Showa 47) October 14 C577 runs in Tokyo - Yokohama

One of the events commemorating the 100th anniversary of the opening of the railway, C577, the No. 1 locomotive between Shinbashi Sakuragi-cho, ran through a red belt passenger car. C577 had a bull's-eye arrow because the number is relatively young, so C57 of the Kii dobanaut agency district is said to be.

It's more like a tgv that met with the wrong kind of snow.

Btw. i like the old shidome terminal shot. The first passenger building was around the right side of the picture at the buffer stops.

It's more like a tgv that met with the wrong kind of snow.

Just goes to show that you can't trust Google to find what you ask for.  I used railsquid's link for "more pictures of Shinkansens and steamers".

I don't understand what you're saying about the "first passenger building" - I would have thought the steam train was departing from a passenger platform?

Just goes to show that you can't trust Google to find what you ask for.  I used railsquid's link for "more pictures of Shinkansens and steamers".

I don't understand what you're saying about the "first passenger building" - I would have thought the steam train was departing from a passenger platform?

The first passenger station was at Shimbashi and became the Shiodome freight terminal as the Yamanote and Tokaido Lines bypassed the original terminal into Tokyo Station.