Any Way to Tell Which Trains Use H5?

maihama eki

Does anyone know if there is any way to tell which trains use the H5 shinkansens?  I know they are used on a variety of different services - Hayabusa, Hayate, Yamabiko, Nasuno...

I am guessing that if a train offers Gran Class, then it is either an E5 or an H5, but I'm not sure if the H5s are consistently used on some trains.

Perhaps it varies from day to day.

I believe there are two ways to tell:

1. The trainset has this logo on several cars:

640px-H5%E7%B3%BB_%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B4%E3%

2. The final destination the the LED signs on the side of the car usually say Shin-Hakodate Hokuto.

Alledgedly, the two H5 shinkansen have seven daily operations: http://nihonkai.exp.jp/hm/rw-news/h5-160226.html

1)

(Hayabusa 10)

- Hakodate Hokuto: 06:35 - Tokyo: 11:04

(Hayabusa 17)

- Tokyo: 11:20 - Shin-aomori: 14:43

(Hayabusa 32)

- Shin-aomori: 17:44 - Tokyo: 21:04

(Yamabiko 223)

- Tokyo: 21:44 - Sendai: 23:47

2)

(Hayabusa 95)

- Sendai: 06:40 - Hakodate Hokuto: 10:07

(Hayabusa 22)

- Hakodate Hokuto: 12:44 - Tokyo: 17:04

(Hayabusa 27)

- Tokyo: 17:20 - Hakodate Hokuto: 21:48

Yes, they are recognisable from their livery and logo, but if you want to plan ahead to ride one of them it doesn't really help... This timetable provided above isn't a guarantee, so when reserving your seat, please confirm you have an H5 at the reservation desk. The staff will very likely know more exactly what train is running where.

• Like 3

I'm sorry I wasn't clear... I meant is there any way to tell from the schedules or timetables which departures from Tokyo are using H5s?

If what I see online is accurate, I think they may use the H5 sets on some trains that do not go to Hokkaido.  Conversely, some of the trains going to Hokkaido may use E5s, so the destination may not tell you.

It may not be possible to know ahead of time when booking.  They may somewhat unpredictably assign either an E5 or an H5.