New "Galaxy Express 999 train" enters service

bill937ca

The Seibu Railway placed in service on  October 8, 2016 a new version of the Galaxy Express 999 train. Like the first Galaxy Express 999 this model will be very expensive.  And this is a good reason to re-issue the first train.

Japanese language articles:

http://rail.hobidas.com/news/info/article/999_2.html

http://rail.hobidas.com/rmn/archives/2016/10/999_5.html

Video:

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

The new Galaxy Express 999 train will run mainly on the Ikebukuro line until March 2019. The creator of the manga and anime series is shown in this video.

"Galaxy" is resurrected Matsumoto Reiji's a new design in Seibu Railway

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I don't even want to ask how much it cost Seibu Railway to paint the entire Seibu 20000 Series trainset in this special livery. Did Shogakukan, Leiji Matsumoto's Japanese publisher for the Galaxy Express 999 manga series, put up part of the cost of doing this?

Question is: Is this an advertising train or an attraction train that you pay (platform ticket or other fare) to photograph?

One of my translated articles on the original train lists the train as being done in cooperation with Nerima Tourism Association so it appears there is a sponsor. Which also is probably why the Galaxy Express 999 terminates at Toshimaen station at the end of 1.0 km Seibu Toshima line rather than continuing out all the way along the Ikebukuro main line.  That station is in Nerima, Tokyo. Which also is the location of an amusement park, probably owned by Seibu in Japanese business fashion.

Edited by bill937ca

Yes, Toshimaen Station is at the front entrance to Toshimaen amusemen park, which is part of the Seibu Group. It's similar to Tobu Zoo Park, a very short walk from Tobu Dobutsukoen Station.

ugh, you were right bill the more i look at the train the more ill probably sell another organ when the micro ace model comes out!

jeff

• Like 1

Yes while interesting to me, not quite as focused as on the painted trains, but I expect the luxury trains will be unique enough to open the wallet though! A lot of my collection is just trains I found very interesting.., too many Japanese trains fit that bill though!

Jeff

Looks great, but I think i'll pass since I'm not a large fan of Seibu and the galaxy-express 999 series... I do like the title song though ~~