Kiso Forest Railway

bill937ca

Kiso Forest Railway Class DB5 diesel locomotive hauling a freight train in the Kiso Valley, Japan.  The railway was abolished in 1976. Now it will be implemented "Otaki Forest Railway Festival" every three years. Old train will run the grounds.

• Like 1

I need one of those railcars on our orchard. We have a cutting on a hillside ,which runs along our boundary on one side of orchard, and this was hand dug back in the early 1900's for a tramway to retrieve Rimu trees. Even a tunnel further up our road on someone else's property, which I must try and find this summer. The area here is called Tauriko , but this was an abbreviation of the original sawmills company name "Tauranga Rimu Company"

• Like 2

Notice that this is a KEPCO (Kansai Electric Power Company) railcar - they had trackage rights over the Kiso Forestry Railway to gain access to power lines for maintenance. Other than the railcar(s), KEPCO also had a maintenance train hauled by a diesel loco. This practice was repeated elswhere in Japan - one of the logging lines in Yakushima still exists in part because it is the only acces to a micro-hydro-electric plant located high up in one of the valleys (so I understand).

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman
  • Like 1