Town Road Ideas?

Well, I'm well underway to assembling my Tomytec town collection. I've noticed that it comes with a little road for th front each each building.

the roads are only 4cm wide, which is the same width as my Noch roads that I'm using. I can fit the paved roads on top of the RoW of the Tomytec roads because there is no clearance for the street lights and other road side things like signs and so forth. The only reason I'd do this is because of the lien markers.

Some, I'm thinking of placing the road (Noch) in the center, then leave the Tomytec roads flanking both sides to look like a pedestrian mall.

The Noch road is extremely narrow and my Tomytec bus barely fits on it, so it's even tighter for auto traffic to use he Tomytec roads. I fear for the safety of the people hwo have to sue the street as there are no side walks!

Feedback?

Japanese roads are often that narrow, especially in older neighbourhoods. You wouldn't drive a bus down those streets anyway. Of course, there's no reason you can't put some sidewalk on either side of the road.

I started thinking about that last night. The only down side is that some of the buildings in the set are designed so half the building's scene uses the street like the food merchant where the stands themselves are on the street itself.

Bar Mills makes an N-scale sidewalk that I like that I think I;'m going to use for that purpose.

Te one thing that gets me with the town collection is that the street pieces are different colors depending if it is build A or B, so my streets have no consistency. This is what prompted me to think about adding the street Noch streets on top of the TT stuff

I like to glue down the bases separately (adding the rest of the building later) and paint and weather them once they're in place so they all match and fit in.

I just placed an order with Scenic Express for a Noch roadway that has side walks. I think I'll just transfer the parts of the TT side walk on to the new side walks including the street lgihts and such assuming I can get them off.

I would normally weather stuff when I did HO, but the TT stuff looks pretty sharp out of the box. At least enough to my liking not to spend the time weathering it any further.

City streets.  A little more density. Many city streets are only 4 metres wide (about 12 feet). Notice the poles are usually in the pavement?

356893478_d790b5d4fd.jpg

215755425_48731cf73c.jpg

3089540498_17f6ee3bd0.jpg

Akihabara

1454213545_faf6dd9f81.jpg

248091843_0058f7b6a6.jpg

Kyoto

3613592070_9af93d9e57_b.jpg

Another thought.  Most streets do not have names, so you will not need any street signs.

Here are some very interesting articles that will give you a good idea of what Tokyo streets are like and have some good photos

Japan Fun Fact #10 Where the Streets Have No Name

http://blogd.com/wp/index.php/archives/1133

Tokyo Back Streets

http://blogd.com/wp/index.php/archives/2536

The Streets of Tokyo

http://blogd.com/wp/index.php/archives/789

A couple more photos.

img_9160-500x333.jpg

img_9161-1024x683.jpg

Thanks for all the pix Bill, this helps a lot. (sorry for the delay in replying, my router went down and it took half a day to trouble shoot the network issue)

More good pictures of a shotengai (Japanese commercial district, usually around a train station). Photos of dense shopping streets surrounding a train station.

Yozakura_Shotengai09.JPG

Yozakura_Shotengai12.JPG

Yozakura_Shotengai11.JPG

Yozakura_Shotengai07.JPG

Yozakura_Shotengai06.JPG

Another shopping street with along a wider main street. This time its more of linear strip rather than a dense network of narrow lanes.  Here there are sidewalks lining the streets near Tokyu Sakura-Shinmachi station not far west of Shibuya Station on the Tokyu Den-en-toshi line.

Yozakura_Sakurashimmachi05.JPG

Yozakura_Sakurashimmachi06.JPG

Yozakura_Sakurashimmachi08.JPG

Yozakura_Sakurashimmachi10.JPG

Yozakura_Sakurashimmachi14.JPG