New book: N Gauge layout Plan 50

I picked up a copy at the Shosen Book Tower while I was in Japan.

There are indeed some very nice looking small layouts in the book as well as countless ideas for scenery and modules even if you don't use the whole layout.  Some of the layouts were in the old Kato track plan book, I suspect they may have been done by the author of this book who has now put all his plans in one publication.

Plan 13. allows double track point to point operation for double ended tains, while the two return loops allow continous running for loco hauled trains, like freight or sleepers. The only downside i see is a lack of storage tracks (except the 3 small depot tracks), but the lower loop's outer track could be used to hold the loco hauled train and the subsurface station has more than one tracks.

Control wise if you power the layout from the through stations and use fully power routing Tomix turnouts (or emulate them with Kato turnouts and bistable relays), then it's possible to control everything with route selection only. The terminal stations will have arrival or departure tracks and controllers selected while the loops will have crossing points between two power districts (controllers). The same double isolation is required between the two double track through stations. Nice sideeffect of this design is that the controllers could all be left in the forward direction (unless shunting) as the direction of running is fixed and polarity swapping at the terminals is done by the turnouts selecting a different normal direction track. The loops serve as a natural double track dogbone with 4 blocks and the point to point is 6 blocks (which may lie beyond the capabilities of the new Tomix unit). Toni, you have a good eye for spotting this plan!

In essence, all layouts are good in this book, but some stand out from an operational point of view. 40, 17, 13 and the  ”水郷の景色” (no number visible) in particular are great. Not only offer they lot of fun in operating, but also lots of possibilities for scenery. It's hard to choose which is the best, but IMO 13 eats the cake, since it allows all kind of rolling stock to be used, whereas the others are rather limited. However, it's also the biggest of them all...

”水郷の景色” is number 4 if I'm looking at the same one.  I like 37, the tram/interuban layout and 41 which cries out Enoden.

• Like 1

Thank you for the pictures!

You are welcome

that also adds a challenge to operating this layout and can even be done with a semi-automated block system (like Tomix has now in development)

I have not been checking the new items of Tomix for some time but now I got curious about that semi-auto block system.

It will be nice see it in a near future.

Some few other pics (layout 13 is there again by mistake)

Layout 13

Cheers,

Edited by nxcale
  • Like 3

You are welcome

I have not been checking the new items of Tomix for some time but now I got curious about that semi-auto block system.

It will be nice see it in a near future.

Some few other pics (layout 13 is there again by mistake)

11.jpgattachicon.gif

Cheers,

I'm really liking the track lan in photo No 11 - Does any body have any more info on it? eg size etc

Yes, that's the one Toni and i were talking about. It's a folded dogbone with two through stations on the double track mainline and two terminus stations in the reversing loops. (one in the back and one underground) That's 4 stations with both point to point and continous running in a small space.

I'm really liking the track lan in photo No 11 - Does any body have any more info on it? eg size etc

Pictures 1 to 3 are about the same layout.

The same is applicable for 4 to 6, 7 to 9 and 10 to 12.

Pic 12 shows the list of track required for that particular layout (#13).

Cheers,

p.s. I notice that the pic quality does not help, I will try to re-update #13 in higher resolution.

Edited by nxcale

Imho the pictures are good enough. Plan 13. clearly shows that the platform lengths are 3 cars long. (one 248 mm piece and two ends) This is not even 4 cars or a more realistic 5 to 6. Expanding the plan to this size is possible but thanks to the 4 stations it could make it more than twice as long and it was a bit larger plan to start with. The interesting part how the two inner loop terminuses were added. one is the classical two turnouts Y connection allowing travel to and from both up and down lines. The other one is tricky as it uses a turnout and another to cross over from the inside of the loop to the outside, making the actual loopy part a few centimeters and allows a double track loop except right at the turnouts. Good positioning of the inter block isolators allows loop operation with block control only and no polarity reversal or any reversing circuits.

ps: plan 28. shows a typical switchback station with a normal through one on the other side

A little rough setup without any consideration for detail and efficient track setup with Tomix track of plan 13:

Screen_Shot_2016_10_06_at_9_28_29.png

I also noticed the stations are at only 3-car formations, which is okay if you go for a private railway setup (as suggested by the accompanying text with the plan). Increasing train lengths to 4-car formations will also increase the layout size a bit, but probably not by much. However, it will probably grow beyond practical use (a layout depth of over 80cm).

I'm going to think about this layout type a bit and try to come up with alternative forms that do allow 4-car formations in a considerable space. Maybe it means departing from the four station idea and decrease it to three, but we'll see...

• Like 2

The ground level and underground level stations would be easy to lengthen.  As the layout does have parallel straights.  It is the 45 degree overhead station that would be the tricky part.

The ground level and underground level stations would be easy to lengthen.  As the layout does have parallel straights.  It is the 45 degree overhead station that would be the tricky part.

Actually, the overhead station isn't the hard part, as that one grows automatically with the increase of the other stations. That particular station can already hold 4-cars anyway... It's the ground level station in front that is the problem mostly. The point that enters from the diagonal track limits the length of the useable platform to three cars before the ramp.

Another issue is the radius. The original plan has a minimum curve of R216 (the smallest acceptable for Kato's Unitrack), but Tomix has R245 as its minimum, however I don't like to use these as visible curves for anything of over 18m rolling stock, so I turn to R280 as a minimum. Tomix luckily also has a point with an R280-30 curve, which makes it practical for using it in curves and saving space. However, this also increases the depth of the layout, but also increases the useable length of the diagonal overhead station (which is beneficial for increasing train lengths).

Anyway, expanding the layout plan to the right side to increase lengths is the best option for longer trains (4-car formations). Anything longer will influence the depth of the layout, or will force the plan to compromise on the diagonal station. Hence, a 4-car solution is the best and most satisfying IMHO.

Interesting! I could only choose the global shipping to the us at $10. Guess Amazon can get bulk from Japan to Australia cheap.

It also checked out at 2810yen, guess that's sales tax take off. Funny thing is the usd price was 2% below the yen charge. Odd usually it's the other way if trying to ask for dollars be charged to the cc from Japan (they get hit with the exchange fees).

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Another update on track plan 13, but this time with sharper turns and a few small (R140-30) points. Not much improvement, other than a (roughly) 25% space reduction and a severe increase of incline steepness (about 7.5% now). I had 2-car formations in mind here, but it doesn't look too good in my opinion. Too forced and too little space for any useful scenery (especially with the depot dominating the centre).

Screen_Shot_2016_10_09_at_14_15_43.png

The previous design is a lot better, hence a little more refined and actually a bit reduced design (very incomplete). It can probably be reduced in width a little bit more! Stations can however now house 4-car trains (despite both terminals not being depicted.

Screen_Shot_2016_10_09_at_14_24_26.png

P.s. I think I'm done with this design for now, as it's not feasible for me personally to pursue any layout beyond 1200 x 800 (or so) dimensions...

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 3

One small difference is the use of a double crossover instead of two normal turnouts in the original plan. This not only allows an illegal (illogical) movement, it might complicate wiring and control. The original two turnout version was used as the down (inner) direction in the upper loop should only be reached from the upper terminus and the reversing turnout only from the terminus bypass direction. The loop exit/entry turnout could also be spring loaded.

Expanding the size:

-both through stations could be extended towards the nearest curves and Tomix even has curved platforms

-this means only the two termini has to be extended with +140mm to support 4 car trains instead of 3 car sets

With the full use of various Tomix turnouts (without resorting to tram sized turnouts), it's possible to fold the layout mentioned above (number 13) to allow 5 car trains in both terminuses and the yard, while having space for 2 or 3 more on the through stations. The up through station could use the Tomix R280/317 side platforms, while the down through and upper terminus stations also have standard platform widths on the straight parts. The curved island platforms however have to be sratchbuild, including the curved part of the down through and most of the subway terminus. Layout size is within 150 x 80 cm.

post-1969-0-09222200-1476125787.png

ps: This arrangement allows 5+3 or 4+4 car setups to be used with half of each train going to the terminuses and the other half taking a loop, splitting and joining at the down through station. Another possibility is doing a few loops with the long sets after each split/join operation to avoid too much shunting. Fun fact, after an operation like this, only one half of each pair will be reversed.

post-1969-0-09222200-1476125787_thumb.png

• Like 2

Did you check the incline percentage of the slopes? AFAIK all the non-station sections will have to be sloped, with some parts of the stations as well.

As for the double crossing, I have a spare one which usually doesn't do much, but can be used for space saving purposes, even when you don't have use for one of the four paths trains can take over it.

Only the upper end of the down station is on an incline, the rest of them are level. The grades would require two motors above 4 or 5 cars or slightly lighter cars, but that's acceptable and the Ueno-Tokyo line is comparable.

I also used a double crossing as it really needs half the space of two turnouts. This complicates wiring a bit as it routes power to more places than two turnouts would.

Book just arrived (dhl about 3 days so better than current ems speeds!). looks very nice and something to ponder at for ideas, i want to do a small btrain shorty layout with lots packed in and i can use tight radiuses.

jeff