Shinagawa first and second crossing

bill937ca

There are times when you can wait at those crossings for 15 minutes or more.  My last trip to Japan, we were staying at the Shinagawa Prince and I got up early and went shooting at the S bend. The trains just don't stop coming. 

There's a traffic island between the crossings that I would love to shoot video in.

Edited by Jcarlton

These two videos were taken around Kita-Shinagawa Station just south of the main Shinagawa Station.

Edited by Sacto1985

These crossings got my attention in passing on a previous trip and I was planning to spend a bit of time filming them in September as we were going to stay at the Toyoko Inn just down the street at Shinagawa but the days were going to be there were booked out months in advance, the only hotel on the whole trip I had to change.

These crossings got my attention in passing on a previous trip and I was planning to spend a bit of time filming them in September as we were going to stay at the Toyoko Inn just down the street at Shinagawa but the days were going to be there were booked out months in advance, the only hotel on the whole trip I had to change.

That hotel always seems to be booked every time I've looked at it.  Still, you can get there on the Yamanote Line fairly easily and if you get out fairly early the trip isn't too crowded. It's worth the trip. 

I did a quick search the other day (but have lost the links) to see if there are any plans for removing those crossings, seems there are but nothing definite - basically the two options are a) raise the line up a level (which will require a steeper gradient down towards Sengakuji, and b) put it in a tunnel under the JR lines, which may conflict with the propose linear line.

These two videos were taken around Kita-Shinagawa Station just south of the main Shinagawa Station.

Here's street view of the traffic island

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6240933,139.7389873,3a,75y,96.87h,81.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spSrpWSfP6hrWkq02Ttj-VA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

You can see one crossing on the right and the other on the left.  Kita Shinagawa station is on the right and Shinagawa station is across the bridge.

Thanks both. Will see if I can pass by whilst in Tokyo in a couple of weeks. I'm staying in Hamamatsucho just up the line.

Edited by tridentalx

Yet more fun at the double crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E4IWUQ1oNY

Even the normally well behaved Japanese people are jumping the crossing and frankly I can't blame them very much.  The South End of Shinagawa Station needs to be reengineered, but it would be a huge project.  My thinking is that the best approach would be to tunnel under the JR tracks and make Keikyu Shinagawa and KIta Shinagaw subway stops. 

And another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRkDgUCqluw

Edited by Jcarlton

Watching the long video, I remembered something about the double crossing.  There are both pedestrian and automobile underpasses underneath the double crossing. Why would you wait for ten  minutes when you can cross underneath and be on your way?  At least more than once. I've used the tunnel and underpass and I've only been to the double crossing once. If I know it is there how come the people living there don't?

Edited by Jcarlton

That hotel always seems to be booked every time I've looked at it.  Still, you can get there on the Yamanote Line fairly easily and if you get out fairly early the trip isn't too crowded. It's worth the trip. 

We are now staying at the Toyoko Inn at Otsuka on the northern tip of the Yamanote Line so it's still possible even if not practically at our front door.

Watching the long video, I remembered something about the double crossing.  There are both pedestrian and automobile underpasses underneath the double crossing. Why would you wait for ten  minutes when you can cross underneath and be on your way?  At least more than once. I've used the tunnel and underpass and I've only been to the double crossing once. If I know it is there how come the people living there don't?

People do strange things, the Japanese are no exception I guess.  Maybe they are railfans and enjoy sitting for ten minutes watching trains. :icon_scratch:

I've checked on google earth and it looks like from two directions at the north east junction it's not possible to turn towards the underpass and if you are going to the houses next the south crossing, that's also hard through the underpass route.

The pedestrian underpass seem to have stairs (the overpass further south too), so i can't blame people not using them. I couln't find the alternate bike route though, so that might be a good option for pedestrians.